Keyboard Rig Pics

Reaction score
Hi Goz! I have a Yamaha S80 which has a good piano sound and a great feeling keybed but I can't lift the 57# weight anymore. I also have a Yamaha Motif ES which has a decent piano sound but unweighted keybed. The PX5S piano is better sounding then either of the Yamaha sounds, and they keyboard feels pretty good but (to me) not as good as the Yamaha. Still, I am very comfortable with the action and I think I will learn to play a bit lighter using this board. I would definatly suggest you play one of you get the opportunity, as I think it is a very good value for a light weight instrument. I always run my keyboards and Ventilator in stereo, either with 2 Mackies, or my Motion Sound stereo keyboard amp (KP200S). The odd thing is, my Yamaha pianos sound bad thru the Motion Sound but the PX5S actually sounds good. The PX5S piano sounds great thru my Haufler studio monitors as you can really hear the nuance of the string resonance with those speakers. If you're on Facebook, check there for the new Casio Privia PX5S page, there's some good info and video/audio. I'm one of the members, so look for me there and feel free to send me a friend request if you want to connect. Don

Reaction score
Goz, I like the PX5S very much and it has a deep and editable operating system with lots of potential. As you know, I have a good bit different options when it come to carrying gear. All of the options have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm no longer physically able to be lifting a lot of heavy gear. I enjoy playing the PX5 enough that I have no plan to go back to the heavier S80 or carry my Emulator rack (4 Emulator IV units). I especially like the EP's and wah-clav on the PX5 and find I am using those sounds more that I have in recent times. For the cost, the PX5 fits the bill for me and I'm enjoying playing it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's my new rig, with the Kurzweil PC3K. This is what I plan to be buried with ;)

studio-flowchart.jpg
keyrig_0293.jpg
keyrig_0295.jpg

Reaction score
The TC Helicon - is that the Harmony M? If so what do you think of it? I was about to buy the Mic Mechanic - for reverb and the tone thing. Does the "tone" button on yours make much of a difference? Can you hear that they've a compressor kicking in?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The TC-Helicon is the Voicetone Synth

http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicetone-synth/

It's basically a vocoder with autotune and octave shifting built in.

I haven't fiddled with programming it much and there's a USB connection and some editing software that comes with it but it runs under Windows and I'm generally in Linux.

I bought it because I have a voice like a rusty gate, but I dunno if I'm using it correctly or not. A lot of the presets honestly seem to have no major effect, but the vocoder function works pretty well and that's the main reason I got it.

^^^ Big Kraftwerk Fan :D :D :D

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I noticed someone over on the casiomusicforums mentioned that he owned a mic mechanic so I passed on your questions.

Here's his response.

------------ QUOTE ----------
Someone in another forum was asking me about the Helicon Mic Mechanic but I couldn't answer him because I have the Voicetone Synth instead.

He was asking if the compression was noticeable and if the autotune was effective or not.

Gary
-----------------------------

Brilliant piece of kit, wouldn't be without it
Upon actually hearing it in action several of my muso buddies have gone and purchased one, including people who can already sing brilliantly .
And no the compression is not noticeable ( wouldn't even notice if there was any) and the auto correct won't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear but it's certainly effective whilst being completely stealth in its operation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
Casio Px-5s on bottom, Nord Electro 3 on top and a Yamaha SY85 opposite. Most of the time though I keep the Nord down closer to the Casio when sitting. I use a Peavey KB60 amp and a Behringer mixer. Oh and a bunch of books. All crammed into the corner of our living room.

IMG_3429.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wow! I thought I was tight for space. You've got a real Tori Amos kinda thing going there with the keyboards back to back ;)

Gary

Reaction score
G'day Phil,

In this gig I'm using a Kurzweil SP4-7, Korg Krome and KingKorg. You can also see my iPad hovering above the KingKorg, which runs Sample Lab and Sunrizer. The other tablet is a cheap Asus Windows tablet which I use as an e-reader for my charts and to help me remember which buttons to push for which songs. You can ignore the guitars et al, they belong to the other chaps in the band! It all runs through the line mixer, which has an effects loop out to a wah-wah pedal.

Cheers!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's one honking big display on the Krome. It must be nice to work with such a large display and touchscreen to boot. I'd hate to have to price the part though if some drunk mashed his beer down on it though ;)

Gary

Reaction score
Haha, yeah good point Gary! I would probably use that opportunity to convince my lovely wife I needed a new keyboard...hehe.

You're right about the touchscreen, it is wonderful to use. Funnily enough it took me a while to get used to it as for years I've been pushing buttons to dive through menus, like all of us I suspect. Now I'm addicted to it. I am a massive advocate for the Krome, I just think it's a wonderful bit of gear - the only downside to it is the keybed (on the 61 key version) is pretty "squidgy" and (to me) doesn't feel fantastic.

Cheers, Paul.

Reaction score
So I was told to upload my rig here. So here is a pic of my live (portable) rig.

From left to right, up to down the boards are as follows:
Roland JX-3P
Roland D-50
Korg R3
Nord C2
Kawai MP7

All is run through a Behringer Eurorack and a Radial stereo direct box.

My custom Bugari Armando accordion is not present in that picture and not my Gretsch Electromatic

I also use an iPad midi connected to the Kawai to run Mellotron sounds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 647

Ask a Question