Keyboard Rig Pics

Reaction score
For bigger gigs I like to use them all but I can get away with using just the Nord and the Kawai by switching out the synth lines for hammond "pad" works. I can get all set up and sounding in about 10 to 15 min on a good day excluding load in. The wiring does not take long as all cables have their place and just need to be plugged in. Load in will also be shorter when I get to building a big trunk which holds all boards and stands

Reaction score
Impressive - you're better than me. My largest rig takes 30 min set up if I absolutely push myself, 45 if I'm in relaxed and calm mode.

That includes having a debate with the FOH engineer and negotiating real estate and on-stage volume with guitarists, of course! ;)

Reaction score
Usually it takes around 20-30 min if I am calm and have enough time but as everything has its' predetermined place and cords are organized it doesn't take to long. Next thing to be added to the rig is a good rack to hold the line mixer and a power regulator/conditioner. That should also make my load in and setup a bit easier in the respect that I don't need to scour the stage for good power

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's an update on my rig. If I add any more I'll have to sell a kidney to afford it :D

keyrig.jpg

keyrig-covered.jpg

studio-flowchart.jpg

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually the Kurzweil is so powerful it scares me. I think I went overboard when I bought it. I've printed out and bound well over 2000 pages of documentation describing how to program it properly. In the past two years I've barely scratched the surface of what it's capable of.

Right now I'm seriously considering selling it off and buying something simpler like a Casio PX-5S and using that as my main controller.

I have it up for sale at the moment on my local craigslist but I'm ambivalent about selling it off. If I don't get my asking price or close to it I'll just as soon keep it and make it my life's work to figure out how to program VAST.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That is a nice looking rig Gary. I might need to post an update about mine. Since my photo was posted the C2 has been let go in favour of a Hammond SK2 and I've gotten rid of some of the synths in order to get some stuff I might actually use. I'll get to that when I have the time. Might even snap a pic of the studio rig next week when I go in for recordings

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Hansi...

We're all like little boys no matter how old we are when it comes to showing off our toys :D

Looking forward to seeing an update of your studio as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Went to what is probably the best studio in Iceland this weekend to work on the album. Went for a little bit more "basic" rig for that, an M3 with a 145 Leslie and a Bösendorfer grand piano. Also used my Kawai MP7 for Rhodes and a "Toy piano" sound.

This is the smaller live hall. There is also a large concert hall and a smaller live room and a singing/amp booth up on the 3rd floor. The room gave the Hammond-Leslie combo a huge sound. We used both close mics and room mics for the grand and Leslie and the results were great. I'm very looking forward to hearing the mixed version.

This is a culture centre and concert hall but is also used as a studio. Usually only for orchestral cinematic music but we are the first rock/pop group to record an album there.

12002915_10205261799726736_7741889958639652064_n.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It sort of looks like a converted gymnasium. ;) The size is right for a 20 piece string ensemble though. By all means do post a finished sample track on soundcloud so we can give it a listen. Looking forward to hearing the acoustics in that studio.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've just finished moving my studio from the basement to a spare bedroom upstairs.

I've heard a lot of good things about daylight and maybe now I'll finally get to see some of it for myself :D :D :D

new_studio_1.jpg

new_studio_2.jpg

new_studio_3.jpg

Peace ;)

Gary :D

Reaction score
nice!
but remember now more than ever you'll have to wear your BONO rock star
sunglasses when playing so you don't go blind from the mysterious sunlight world...

I've just finished moving my studio from the basement to a spare bedroom upstairs.

I've heard a lot of good things about daylight and maybe now I'll finally get to see some of it for myself :D :D :D

new_studio_1.jpg

new_studio_2.jpg

new_studio_3.jpg

Peace ;)

Gary :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
nice!
but remember now more than ever you'll have to wear your BONO rock star
sunglasses when playing so you don't go blind from the mysterious sunlight world...

funny_Cookie_Monster_glasses_quote.jpg

Everyone knows Elton John was the original King of Shades...

Bono's just a nasty lil wanna be poser :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
My father built this as a wedding present. My wife and I used it at the New York Renaissance Faire during her final year at school. Since the fair is outside, I added the pickup and a "magic box built by a wizard" so that it could be heard in larger arenas such as the Queen's Lunch, etc.

It hasn't been played much since.

Last weekend I cleared off all the crap that was piled on top of it and polished it. Getting it back in tune is this weekend's project. (It's sitting to the right of a Yamaha DGX-650, which is currently my main instrument.)

Clavichord - closed.jpg

Clavichord - open.jpg

Reaction score
Here's my keyboard stage rig. The top and bottom keyboards are both Korg Krome workstations. The top is a 61 key, the bottom is an 88 key weighted action. In the middle is the new Hammond XK1c! Awesome organ keyboard! The keyboard stand is a Proline (Guitar Center) 3-tier stand. I'm not too happy with the stand, because the top keyboard is up so high, and there is no way to adjust the keyboards so that they are closer together. I use a Mackie Mix12FX to premix my keys, and add a little reverb. I use a Behringer B115D as a monitor/amplifier. at this particular gig, we were using the house PA system, and I was using a separate monitor, Mackie SRM-150, for vocals.
image.jpg
image.jpeg

Ask a Question