Keyboard Rig Pics

Reaction score
it's really tough to get 3 keyboards stacked, unless u have something with a flat top and no screen or controlls to get to...nice rig !.....

I bought this stand about 3 years ago because it was the only 3 tier stand that I could find in stock at a local Guitar Center. It's fairly sturdy, and folds up easy. It doesn't take up as much room on stage as some of the others that I've looked at. The Standtastic 3-tier stands are nice, but even they take up more floor space than the X stands.

I like using 2-3 keyboards. The bottom 88 key Korg is my main piano board. Grand pianos, Rhodes and various EP's, Piano/Strings, etc. I do use other sounds too, not just piano, but I love the weighted action that this keyboard has. The Hammond of course is my organ. In addition to the B3 drawbar sound, this keyboard has some other nice transistor and pipe organ sounds. The 61 key Korg Krome is my "everything else" keyboard; synth sounds, brass, strings, clavi, and others. The organ tones in the Korg keyboards are pretty good too. I used them before I bought the Hammond XK1c. But the Hammond has that sound that just makes your hair stand up and melts faces like a blowtorch! I have a couple other keyboards that don't see as much use anymore, such as an older Yamaha S-30, and DX-7. Sometimes I bring them along for the wow factor when the stage is big enough!

Reaction score
nice looking setup! thanks 4 the pix.
BTW-I'm using the StandTastic 2 tier, with an added tier on the very top
for my moog, and have all good thing-s to say about it.
Not as big onstage as their standard 3 tier, but tall enough
to play while standing and have all 3 boards in front, and bass pedals
underneath.
So... how do you like the "grand piano" sounds out of the Krome's?

Reaction score
The Krome pianos are great! I especially love the German Grand Pianos, and the Live Stage Piano. The electric pianos are also very good. I also considered the Roland RD-800 when I bought the Krome 88. I prefer the Rhodes and concert grand sounds of the Roland RD-800, although the Korg is considerably less expensive, and I love the touch screen, and flexibility of another workstation.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Yesterday evening, between a Budget Workshop and a City Commission meeting, my wife called me and said that the movers were delivering our piano that evening. Surprise! We were supposed to get a week's notice, not a couple of hours.

At any rate, I told them where I wanted the piano, and they moved everything out of the way for it. (Everything was basically my keyboard stand, etc.) I come home and find stuff leaning against walls. I clear out the wall where I wanted the keyboard to go, and then I put the keyboard against that wall.

Other than some cleanup on the rest of the room, this should pretty much stay the same for the rest of the year. On the left, an upright piano with an amp on top. (There's also my daughter's printer, but that's out of the picture.) On the right, a K&R Keyboard Stand with a Kronos 88, a music desk, and a music light. I'm hopefully bringing something out of the attic for the second tier, but that may not happen until the spring.
Piano Room.jpg

Reaction score
My father built this as a wedding present. My wife and I used it at the New York Renaissance Faire during her final year at school. Since the fair is outside, I added the pickup and a "magic box built by a wizard" so that it could be heard in larger arenas such as the Queen's Lunch, etc.

It hasn't been played much since.

Last weekend I cleared off all the crap that was piled on top of it and polished it. Getting it back in tune is this weekend's project. (It's sitting to the right of a Yamaha DGX-650, which is currently my main instrument.)

View attachment 615

View attachment 616
Old post but that's just awesome. I'm imagining how he did it and why and I think I love your fathers style and way of thinking for building/inventing stuff.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the Studio hopefully in its final incarnation. I set it up in my spare bedroom. At the very least I hope I don't have to move again for at least another 20 years.

One change I do have in mind though, is to hopefully buy a Behringer Deepmind 12 sometime next year after they begin to ship and swap it out for the Casio XW-P1. I plan to keep the Casio though and set it up in the living room with a practice amp fro whenever the impulse hits me.

Anyway, even though it's now fully wired up and tested I'm still too preoccupied with settling up my father's affairs to even begin composing again for at least a few more weeks if not a month.

The building is quite soundproof and has solid concrete floors and ceilings and walls between rooms.

The only place where sound escapes is thru the drywall adjoining the hallway and the corridor between acts as a pretty decent noise barrier. :) Should be no complaints from the neighbours as long as I keep my playing within reasonable hours.

apartment_studio_20161112_T192206_7.jpg

apartment_studio_20161112_T192227_8.jpg

apartment_studio_20161112_T192401_10.jpg

apartment_studio_20161112_T192434_12.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Wow, cool thread!

Here is my setup right before starting a gig last summer.

The top keyboard flips over upside-down over the bottom keyboard allowing me to cover and go.

On my right I have a rack with mixer, audio interface, sound modules, effects, power amp, etc...

It takes me 20 minutes to break down and put everything on two dollys including what you see + 2 speakers w. stands, 1 subwoofer, 4 par64 cans, 2 scanners and a backdrop.

I've been doing this for a few years now ;-)

20160331_000258.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
20 minutes ain't bad at all. In fact, I think it verges on some sort of record. As it was, it took me half a day just to hook up the cabling on my rig the way it was before, including all the computer hookups.

Much as I enjoy playing my keys the truth be told I'd never really want to perform in a live venue. Simply too much pressure for too little reward, once push came to shove.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That's a very nice set up.

Your rack setup is something similar to what I've been wanting to get around to. I want to rack mount a couple of mixers and a power supply, with the option for an FX or sound module down the track.

The two things holding me back are 1) cash, and 2) I haven't quite worked out a way to make it work for me ergonomically. I'm constantly fiddling with my mixer during our show, and I don't really want to turn my back on my piano while I'm doing it. I also play on a riser and I'm conscious of fitting everything on there.

Reaction score
Much as I enjoy playing my keys the truth be told I'd never really want to perform in a live venue. Simply too much pressure for too little reward, once push came to shove.

I know exactly what you mean. I have about four months vacation ahead of me and when I think about starting up again I get so nervous my palms start sweating.

Fortunately once you get started and get into a routine everything is much easier.

Reaction score
...and 2) I haven't quite worked out a way to make it work for me ergonomically. I'm constantly fiddling with my mixer during our show, and I don't really want to turn my back on my piano while I'm doing it.

I have to admit I'm also a fiddler but with the mixer close on my side and wearing a headset mic I don't find it too bad.

One important factor you should take into count if you are considering putting everything in a rack is weight. Especially if you are going to add a power amp. Taking it up or down more than a couple of steps by myself is simply out of the question.

Most places do have ramps or elevators and I made myself a ramp for taking it in and out of my van but from time to time I still end up having to ask somebody to lend me a hand which isn't very cool.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Old post but that's just awesome. I'm imagining how he did it and why and I think I love your fathers style and way of thinking for building/inventing stuff.

The clavichord was a wedding present. He also built a two manual harpsichord and had partially completed a fortepiano. The harpsichord is coming to my place as soon as my daughter moves out. The fortepiano was sold after my father's death.

Dad was a classical pianist and composer who also liked woodworking, painting, etc. He was old school electronic musician, back when you cut up tapes, ran them backwards, changed speeds, etc. When synths came out, he embraced them. I remember etching circuit boards as a kid. He took apart a broken Arp Odyssey and turned it into a modular synth. Mostly by adding patch points, although he did add a divider section.

When Finale came out, he embraced it as a composing tool. I think he completely stopped writing down scores, instead using Finale and some sort of Kurzweil as a controller. Had a monitor which would pivot between landscape and portrait. He said it was essential when working on orchestral scores so he could see all the parts simultaneously.

Ask a Question