Keyboards that sound like the classic Wurlitzer 200a electric piano?

Reaction score
It's just not the same playing Goodbye Stranger or Logical Song or other famous :cool:Supertramp:cool: songs that were featured on the Wurlitzer 200a electric piano on a regular keyboard that sounds like a grand piano. Anybody have some good priced keyboards that have a setting where it sounds like a Wurlitzer 200a? I've heared it was the "Soft Wurly" setting.

Reaction score
I have just revamped my rig to include the Fantom G8. I love Roland's hammer action, i think it's the best, and I love Roland's high-end piano samples. I think the whole RD series of stage pianos are trash. I've even played the new NX-700 and the action is slow, makes your forearms hurt after an hour, and the pianos are so backwards...you gotta EQ them forever just to dial in something useable.

I bought the G8 because it doesn't muck around with mediocre samples, like their more affordable lines. Also, I popped another $100 on eBay and got the ARX-02 expansion, which will let you customize your EP's until they explode with Wurly goodness. Seriously...look up all the youtube demos on that expansion board for the G series, and you will want to pick one up. I would make a demo video for you, but I'm in Japan for the short time being.

Good Luck

Reaction score
It's just not the same playing Goodbye Stranger or Logical Song or other famous :cool:Supertramp:cool: songs that were featured on the Wurlitzer 200a electric piano on a regular keyboard that sounds like a grand piano. Anybody have some good priced keyboards that have a setting where it sounds like a Wurlitzer 200a? I've heared it was the "Soft Wurly" setting.

Don't know what's in the budget, but:

I have a Roland RD-700NX. The SuperNatural"reed piano" gets close, or so I thought. . . . keep going.

About four weeks ago, I picked up a used Kurzweil PC3 to replace the Alesis I'd been using on my top tier.
Kurzweil's "Supertramp Wurly" is aptly named - positively nails it. Perfect for Goodbye Stranger & Logical Song.

You'll find a sound bite here: http://www.kurzweil.com/Product.php?id=181. Select the "audio" tab below the photos, scroll about halfway down and feast your ears. It is *dead-on*.:D

And it really DOES sound that good (actually better when you play it in the right key). The effects are built into the patch, no tweaking. Big reason I pulled the trigger on it.

The PC3 family is the gigging keyboardist's "swiss army knife". Best gear puchase I ever made, better even than the RD.

-Mike

Ask a Question