midi issue with yamaha e223 keyboard

Reaction score
hi all, just wanted to ask a little something.

I have a e223 yamaha keyboard , just bought a midi device and tried to set it up to a windows xp 32bits computer.
It was installed as expected.
Im using "PIANO AND KEYBOARD METHOD" course, and when i try to sync it with e223 keyboard i can see that it's sending the data to the keyboard (midi device lights up with each note), the e223 plays no sound at all.

Tried to install drivers from yamaha website, but i keep getting the 25001 error, no device detected.

I have run out of ideas, would enormously apreciate some help.
TY

Reaction score
i have again tried lots of thing to no avail, i have a couple begginer questions:

1. Is it necessary for the computer to have an independant sound card to use midi?
2. Is there any issue with using midi devices in windows 7? do i need to go for windows xp?
3. Im hoping this is the cause, i have a generic cable with no drivers, seller said they were not necessary for this device, is it possible for the keyboard to not be compatible?

Thanks a lot for your support guys.

Reaction score
It sounds like your "Local On'' - "Local Off" setting may not be correct. GO to the users manual pages 45 and 46 to double check you have every thing set-up correctly. Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Silly question but the first thing I've learned to ask people with MIDI problems is whether or not they've connected IN to OUT and OUT to IN as they're supposed to. Amazing how many people get tripped up by this little fact.

Also make certain the keyboard is powered off and the MIDI interface is unplugged from the USB when you swap cables.

In answer to your other questions.

1) No sound card is required at all unless you plan to use MIDI as a controller for a VST virtual synth on your computer or plan to record as WAV or MP3 on your computer.

2) Windows 7 is fine for MIDI. XP actually has some hardware limitations for MIDI that have been overcome in later versions of Windows.

3) Your interface is a class compliant USB to MIDI device and requires no drivers in Windows, Mac or Linux. If you need to double check, check your Device Manager settings in Windows Control Panel to see if the MIDI device is recognized under Multimedia Devices.

As for the Yamaha Device Driver, I don't really understand why you need it if it's connected via standard MIDI ports. The only time you need a driver is when you have a direct USB connection to the keyboard.

Reaction score
hi guys, first of all thanks for all your help.

I know im a new member and its not uncommon for a newbie to be ignored,

I have checked the manual, have tried all ways, right now local set to off and external clock to off. No more indications regarding midi from the manual.
My midi interface is now working with windows 7 (its powered) thanks to a solution i found (drivers from romio).

I can see the computer sending info to keyboard (green light on) but keyboard never sends data as the "DATA IN LED" doesnt turn on. Im still wondering if the interface may be faulty (generic) so i ordered a yamaha interface, but im afraid the problem is with the keyboard.

I have also checked if the correct connection is setup (in to out and viceversa).

Do you have this keyboard? had any problems setting up midi?

Ask a Question