New DGX 660 User

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard sailor.... (pun intended :) )

Let us know a bit more about yourself.

How experienced are you with keyboards? What's your favorite style of music? What sort of musical goals do you wish to accomplish over the years to come?

There are a few DGX users here on the board already so you'll be in good company.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hello Gary,
I have been a piano player for over 50 years. I played in church most of those years. My training is classical, but Floyd Cramer, Micky Gilly, and Jerry Lee Lewis had an influence in my style. About forty years ago I bought a Yamaha CP-30. A heavy 88 key piano with only four voices. It weighed about 100 pounds but it was reliable. I still have it and it still works.

My principle goal in buying the DGX 660 is to lay down simple tracks that we can sing along with in the Messianic Jewish congregation I lead. There is not a great deal of Messianic music tracks. It is a mixture of Jewish and Christian styles.

Perhaps I could have used Ableton but I like my fingers on black and white.

Steve

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Steve...

The DGX should serve you well in a worship setting. One thing I'm not certain about is whether or not it has 1/4" L & R Line outs or not.

Otherwise, if you need to hook up to a house sound system you'll be stuck using the headphone jacks.

I've seen a few worship players pop in on this forum now and then in the past few years so maybe you guys can share notes.

Myself, I'm self taught, playing for about 20 years and semi retired. I use my keys to create original composition recordings which I've posted on soundcloud and youtube and recently I've begun to consider monetizing my stuff on bandcamp.

This forum welcomes all grades of players equally, from the greenest noobs to chart topping veterans and we all try to help each other out in the community with technical stuff.

We're generally family friendly and we insist on keeping the conversations civil and clean.

That being said though, we're all a bunch of tortured artists and occasionally might feel the need to vent our egos. :)

By all means enjoy your stay and feel free to contribute to the threads whenever you are able.

All in all the regulars here are a pretty friendly bunch.

Also, before you respond to a thread make certain to take note of the date of the thread. People don't always realize they've posted to a ten year old thread until it's been pointed out to them. :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, Steve!

One thing I'm not certain about is whether or not it has 1/4" L & R Line outs or not.

I don't think it does; if I'm not mistaken it has the single 1/4" TRS PHONES/OUTPUT jack like the PSR-E models do, with a Master EQ option to set the output to a line level impedance if desired.

Reaction score
Just got the DGX-660. Anyone else get high pitch overtones (not good ones) just playing like mid C chord? Like really noticeable on decay. I messed around with the EQ and the IAC which seemed to help but not completely. Anyone else?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just bought the DDX 660 and I'm wondering if I can directly record my singing voice into this keyboard through my mic ?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Pages 69-71 of the Owner's Manual show how to connect a microphone and change the settings associated with it.

Page 49 has information about recording directly to an audio file, which lets you record audio from a microphone as well as audio coming in from the AUX IN connection, in addition to what you're playing on the keyboard. :)

EDIT-- By the way, I recommend downloading the PDF versions of the manual and other documentation from Yamaha's website, because it's a lot easier to locate information by searching for a word or phrase; the index and table of contents don't always list every instance of whatever topic you're looking for help on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear all I have an issue in DGX 660. When I try to record songs on my pen drive it gives an error “the device is busy”. What could be the reason for this and what could be the possible solutions??

Reaction score
Dear all I have an issue in DGX 660. When I try to record songs on my pen drive it gives an error “the device is busy”. What could be the reason for this and what could be the possible solutions??
I've had this problem and I think it was the memory stick. I used a good quality memory stick and everything behaved itself.
Hope this helps.
Keep rockin' Gus. ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Good observation. The file system used on the USB flash drive can be a problem. Off the top of my head I'm not sure which file system it should be, but Yamaha has a list of USB flash drives which are known to be compatible on their web site.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Steve !A few decades ago I owned, and gigged with, the Yamaha CP30. I remember playing Toto's "Hold The Line" with that board........lol. I used both channels and stretch tuned them to fatten it up, and it sounded good for that era's pop songs. I sold the CP30 and replaced it with a CP70 (so-called "electric grand") which I still own. Don

Reaction score
Hello you lovely people, I own a 660 and I use split on the keyboard. I would like to adjust the volume on the left and right on independently, try as I may I can't archive this. I would be eternally grateful to you if you could help the expro' old man from going completely round the bend. My email is (e-mail address removed).
Keep rockin' Gus.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The only way to adjust the individual volumes and other voice parameters of the Main Voice, Dual Voice, and Split Voice is to go into the Function menu, scroll until you find the specific voice parameters you want to adjust, and then change their settings as desired. See pages 60, and 72-73, of the owner's manual.

Whenever you select a Main Voice, Dual Voice, or Split Voice, all of the voice parameters will be reset to their factory default settings for the given preset voice. I have no experience with the DGX-660, but on the PSR-E models that I'm familiar with each preset voice usually has specific default Dual and Split Voices-- as well as default effect types-- which have been chosen by Yamaha to complement the Main Voice, although this varies from model to model. Thus, when you choose a specific preset voice to be the Main Voice, it may automatically change the preset voices that the Dual Voice and Split Voice are set to, along with the Reverb Type, Chorus Type, DSP Type, Harmony Type, and so on, including the various parameters related to each of these, such as Main Volume, Dual Volume, Split Volume, Main Octave, Dual Octave, Split Octave, Main Reverb, Dual Reverb, Split Reverb, and so on.

For this reason, it's best to choose the Main Voice before choosing the Dual and Split Voices, Reverb and Chorus Types, and so on. Then, after you've chosen the specific voices and effects you want to use, you can safely go into the Function menu and adjust the various parameters for the voices and effects.

This also means that you should save any modified settings that you like to a Registration for later recall, since they'll keep getting reset to the factory default settings whenever you choose a different voice. See pages 50-51 of the owner's manual.

There is no way to adjust the volumes of the voices while playing, but if you need to temporarily increase or decrease the volume of the Main, Dual, and/or Split Voice while playing then you could try setting up different Registrations for that, such as setting up Registration 1 so the Split Voice is louder than the Main and Dual Voices, setting up Registration 2 so the three voices are balanced "normally," setting up Registration 3 so the Main Voice is louder than the Dual and Split Voices, and setting up Registration 4 so the Dual Voice is louder than the Main and Split Voices, or something like that, so you can switch to a different Registration to briefly give more emphasis to the Main, Dual, or Split Voice, then switch back to their normal balances.

Note that if you're actually referring to the voices and volumes used by the auto-accompaniment styles, there is no way to alter those on the keyboard. If you're using an external style file rather than one of the internal or built-in styles, then you could try using third-party software to modify the style settings on your computer and save the changes to a new style file.

If you're connecting and using an iPad or computer to your keyboard while playing, you could also try changing the keyboard's Local Control setting to Off-- so the keyboard won't produce any sounds when you play it-- then route the MIDI data from the keyboard to the iPad or computer and then back to the keyboard again. This lets you play the keyboard as though it were a MIDI keyboard controller, use external software on your iPad or computer to "slice, dice, and spice" the keyboard's MIDI data, and send it back to the keyboard to be played as though the keyboard were a MIDI sound module. Doing this would let you modify the Channel Volumes for the Main, Dual, and Split Voices on the fly, as well as making it possible to change the voices and parameters used for the channels of the style.

Ask a Question