New. Intro and keyboard questions!

Reaction score
Hi everybody! My name is Jon and I am from Minnesota. I play a little guitar but now I want to add keyboards to the mix. I just want a decent keyboard to start learning on. I prefer country/country rock and some top 40 type stuff. So... I guess i really want a fair soudning piano sound and maybe good guitar sounds.

What keyboard (that has built in speakers) would be best for learning on? I'd love to buy a Yamaha XS6 or 7, but I can't afford to get that and an amp etc..... I really need to stay under $1000 for now, but I don't want to waste my money on a crappy keyboard either.

Also.... do I really want more than 61 keys? I mean, will I use more than that? I see they come with up to (maybe more even) 88! So what is the feeling on that?

Please give me some ideas!!

Thanks all!

Jon

Reaction score
I'd recommend going to a music store and trying out some models. That way you can hear them for yourself and compare sounds, prices, etc. As for a guitar sound: I have never played a keyboard with a guitar setting that didn't sound hoopty. But I've never felt the need to play a guitar sound on a keyboard, anyway.

Like you, I am in the market for a keyboard but only starting the search, so I don't have much shopping expertise. I will say that I think 61 keys is a solid size for an intermediate keyboard. Anything smaller would be a cheap keyboard, but then again, that may be the way to go, especially since you are on a $1000 budget. I am playing in a band and using a hoopty 48-key Yamaha psr-79 that we found in the trash. Works great, and I plan to keep it by my side even after I eventually find a new keyboard.

Reaction score
The thing with guitar sounds on keyboards is, they make them as dry as possible. It's sort of like plugging in a strat with no effects in a standard amp/speaker combo. It's up to the person who has the keyboard to add chorus, delay, distortion, etc. Playing the keyboard so as to sound like a guitar takes technique and playing style from the keyboardist.

In these videos you will see him play a lead guitar solo on a keyboard and then let one that is recorded play back and then play another guitar solo :)

Reaction score
Yamaha, Roland, Korg Triton Extrem/Studio/Oasys, Kurzweil can all do this.

But, check ebay. You may find an Extreme for around $1,200. I payed $2,000 brand new from GC for the 61 key in 2004.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

Another Question.....

Ok, this is a stretch from the lower price I was thinking but......

If I wanted to be crazy and buy a Yamaha Motif XS6, did I understand (somewhere else) correctly, that I could just plug in some Higher End Logitech speakers for home studion use and it would sound fine? I was guessing I'd need to spend another $500 on an amp or something.

I have one bad problem, some may think it's good though.... I hate wasting money on cheaper stuff, only to later want to buy better stuff!! So.... if I decide to get serious and really learn to play, I really think I want to spend more and not regret it later!!

Would you guys buy the XS6 if money was not a big issue?

My favorite music would be country/country rock and top 40 stuff. Is the Motif XS6 an awesome setup for that or what would you buy?

I am leaning toward the 6 vs the 7 or 8, more because $2100 is easier to swallow than $2800!!

:)

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Another Question.....

Ok, this is a stretch from the lower price I was thinking but......

If I wanted to be crazy and buy a Yamaha Motif XS6, did I understand (somewhere else) correctly, that I could just plug in some Higher End Logitech speakers for home studion use and it would sound fine? I was guessing I'd need to spend another $500 on an amp or something.

Yes, those speakers would be fine until you started mixing down your recordings. That is a different monster though and when that time comes studio monitors will be the choice - powered studio monitors would be best in my opinion. But for now, yes. Only problem with those speakers, if I remember correctly, you will need to pay abou $3 at radio shack for a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

I have one bad problem, some may think it's good though.... I hate wasting money on cheaper stuff, only to later want to buy better stuff!! So.... if I decide to get serious and really learn to play, I really think I want to spend more and not regret it later!!{/quote]

I preach about this all the time. Yes, if you are going to continuously upgrade then, buying a whole bunch of lower items is, in effect, wasting money. You're a guitar player! Think about how much faster you would have learned with a higher end guitar. Notes are easier to play, better pickups for better sound and not having to spend months trying to get that signature sound - it's the quality that helps you to develope your skills faster as you aren't struggling with what that instrument can't do.

Same thing with any instrument including keyboards. One nice thing about keyboards though - you can always attach more keyboards via MIDI and increase your sounds. But we are talking about quality. A better built keyboard just has better options and sounds you won't find in a cheaper model.

Would you guys buy the XS6 if money was not a big issue?

No. My tastes in keyboards aren't the same as everyone elses. I tried the Yammies and found them harder to work with than Roland and Korg (Korg was easiest for me). I'm not saying Yamaha is better or worse than other keyboards, just not my first choice. Whichever board you decide, remember, you have many nights - weeks - months - years of learning and creation. My best advice is to go to the music store and try all of them. Don't let the sales person sway your opinion. This is a big buy and you should be sure of what you are paying for.

My favorite music would be country/country rock and top 40 stuff. Is the Motif XS6 an awesome setup for that or what would you buy?

I mentioned this in another post. I believe Roland has the best pad and ambient sounds, Yamaha has the best lead sounds (not lead guitar but sounds meant to be up front) and Korg has the best drum sounds (I have been asked repeatedly who recorded our drum parts). All the companies (including Kursweil, Alesis, etc.) have good sounds in all departments. Some boards are just better in certain sounds. As far as ease of use - they all have their high points. One thing you have to consider with keyboards is the fact that none of the sounds are as good as they can be without your influence in playing style and how you program them and add effects. I have seen some boards I wouldn't let the neighbors dog chew on that worked wonders for people.

I am leaning toward the 6 vs the 7 or 8, more because $2100 is easier to swallow than $2800!!

61 keys is fine. If you plan on learning piano I would recommend 88 keys with the hammer weighted action. Other than that, I write most of our music on a 61 key (we have an 88 key with weighted keys). Again, there are advantages to both. If you know for an absolute fact that you will be expanding in the future, you can get an 88 key midi controller. The controller itself produces no sound but, as you add more keyboards or synth racks you can connect them via MIDI and play them all (the Yamaha rack comes to mind along with the Roland V-Synth rack. These are same keyboards with the keyboard - just the sounds in rack form)!!!

Ask a Question