No A on Yamaha DX220 Keyboard

Reaction score
My Keyboard has just started to refuse to play any A in any octave. I am an Aircraft electronic Instrument Fitter, so should be able to fix it but have no idea where to start, having never worked on a keyboard before. Any ideas?

Reaction score
My Keyboard has just started to refuse to play any A in any octave. I am an Aircraft electronic Instrument Fitter, so should be able to fix it but have no idea where to start, having never worked on a keyboard before. Any ideas?

Sounds to me that a rubber-underlay-contactpad has gone bad or is dirty. Failing the A in all octaves is typical for that. I don't know why it is almost always the A but it can be any key. All keys follow the same route to the soundprocessor so if one is not working usually all the keys of the same kind don't function anymore or make uncontrolable sounds.
I am not familar with your model keyboard but have replaced the mentioned pads in a few keyboards myself. It is not so difficult but you have to get a replacement pad and take the keyboard a bit to pieces.
On psrtutorial.com is a very good article with pictures how to change or/and clean the pads. The article is about, and you have to search for the PSR3000 but at least you get an idea what it can be and what to do about it. Basically the job is sort of the same in most keyboards.

Hope this helps. Also cleaning the pads VERY carefully with cleaning alcohol sometimes does the job. They look like 'nipples' for a better word and have small coal contacts at the top. In time they can get a bit dirty by coal-dust.

DickR

Reaction score
Much appreciated post,Dick. I was of the opinion that it would be something simple like that, because the keyboard still plays the note when it is included in a midi file. I will tackle it tomorrow and let you know how I went.

Reaction score
Much appreciated post,Dick. I was of the opinion that it would be something simple like that, because the keyboard still plays the note when it is included in a midi file. I will tackle it tomorrow and let you know how I went.

Yes Jeff, that proves 99% that it is a damaged or dirty pad. In most Yamaha keyboards every octave has is own pad. Moving them around like the one in the middle moved to the most righthand place (the least used!) can solve the problem. BTW if a pad is damaged it is very difficult to see what is wrong with the naked eye. While busy, also clean the circuitboards above them. You will see what I mean when you get to it.

Hope you still read this in time and that it solves the problem. For the benefit of other readers keep us informed please.

DickR

Reaction score
Thanks Dick,I was thinking about it, and I think A would be the key mostoften playe since it appears in the keys of C D E F G A and B flat. Another one would be E flat

Reaction score
To Dick with gratitude, and for the benefit of anyone interested: I took the Keyboard apart and for a starting point I chose the Octave of keys that I figure get the most use when I play. I removed 4 screws holding down the keys in that Octave and removed and inspected the keys, pads and and circuit board. Under a bright light, and with magnification I could actually see minute particles of dust. I had a soft brush that I got with hair clippers and never used, and I cleaned all surfaces as well as I could and reassembled. The notes all now play again. It wasn't all that tricky to do. I may have to do it again, but it will be no drama. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Well done Jeff, glad to know that you are back in business so to speak and thanks for the follow up.
Not a job everyone can or dare to do themselves for sure but at least when something similar happens this is normally where to look for the problem.

Regards
DickR

Reaction score
Hi all - thank you for this thread. Having a similar problem with my (used) Yamaha DGX-205 - in my case both A and D# were fine yesterday and now won't make noise in any octave. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of experience opening up electronics but may give this a try anyway! Any advice?

Ask a Question