PA1000 Piano Sounds

Reaction score
I feel your last post came across as abrupt and disparaging towards @CowboyNQ
Thank you Ray,

It's all good mate I wasn't offended but appreciate your kind comments and the care behind them nonetheless. Doug is correct in saying that I did miss the fact he'd mentioned tweaking the equalizer in his first post - no harm done.

However, since you've roused me from my slumber, I'll have one final crack at trying to help FWIW. Who knows it might help someone else who stumbles over here.

When it comes to sound, particularly live performance sound where there are so many variables at play, it's always good to apply Occam's razor.

Doug asked (I believe genuinely) for help on why his expensive professional arranger doesn't sound good through a PA. He has been in receipt of lots of advice and suggestions from a few of the regular contributors here, all of it pretty solid from my perspective.

Sound quality is subjective, but from listening to multiple YouTube videos (none of which used the internal speakers) the PA1000 sounds more than adequate to me and certainly no worse than 'boards I would consider its direct competitors in the marketplace. This suggests to me that the issue Doug is experiencing is not inherent in the keyboard, but is dependent upon an external factor of some kind. Which frankly could be a simply a matter of personal taste.

The ball's in Doug's court whether he chooses to work through the suggestions provided or dismiss them out of hand.

Personally I'd be sending the keyboard back for a refund if my world view on its lack of quality was so firmly entrenched.

Reaction score
Doug,
If anyone here can offer advice about your sound problems it's @CowboyNQ .
If his suggestions don't fix it then I think you are in the deep end.
Others here too have offered solutions and they are well equipped to advise you but sadly none so far can help you.:(
Your problem seems to be unique and frustrating for you. So where do we go?
Everyone here involved with your post are keen to help you.
What else can we do for you?

I feel your last post came across as abrupt and disparaging towards @CowboyNQ . Hopefully it was just frustrations.
Ray
Oh wow, I certainly didn’t mean it that way, but re-reading my post, I understand why you took it that way. I’m so sorry... I should have said that better. That’s what I hate about typing, texting, etc. When you can’t hear someone actually talking it makes it easy to misunderstand.
CowboyNQ I apologize if I came off like that... it was DEFINITELY not my intention. I was driving home from a gig and that’s why my answer was short, not because I was trying to be kurt. I should have been more careful so I wouldn’t have been misunderstood.
Again, I apologize to CowboyNQ and anyone else I offended. I appreciate all of your comments and efforts to help me!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tried downloading, installing and testing the Piano instrument sounds I advised in an earlier post.
I haven’t yet, but that’s my next step. I’ve been gigging 6-7 days a week, and just haven’t found time.
I really like the drawbars function, and the ability to create styles from midi files. And being able to instantly choose from 4 sounds/combinations without going through any menus is great, though I would like more than 3 sounds on top, as I often need several zones.
I usually write a unique patch for almost every song, with just exactly the sounds, etc for that particular song, (example: trumpet, trombone, tenor sax layered on top, baritone sax below that, a small Rhodes section, then Hammond organ on bottom) this is a lot easier to do when you have up to 16 zones/instruments available, as in a Roland “Performance” or Studio Set”, or the old Korg “Combination”.
That’s why I hate the current trend by Roland and Korg, etc. to only offer 3-4 zones, except on their more expensive models. I KNOW I’m the exception to the rule here, and most players typically only use single sounds, or use split/layers like “Piano/organ layered over a bass sound”. But, it’s just how I think/play.
When a band is doing a song, the bass player learns the bass part, drummer learns the drum part, guitar player sifts through the 3-4 guitar tracks and figures out what is the most important thing happening at any given time. Then MY job is to cover the most important things from the other 12-20 tracks on the record.
I know lots of guys just play piano and organ, I’ve just never thought of it that way.
Looking back at my “ramble”, some of this might be better suited for the general conversation section... sorry.

Reaction score
Reading your last post and in particular what you want to achieve I am now starting to think that you bought the wrong keyboard and a Workstation would have been a better choice than the PA Arranger.

I have a Korg Kross 2 and can certainly set up far more than 3-4 zones with 16 layers in each Combi, I am not suggesting that this would be a better buy, I am just using it as an example.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
. I’m so sorry... I should have said that better.
No worries! You're a good man:).
Your response indicates respect and honesty.

But wait . .:eek:
n. I was driving home from a gig and that’s why my answer was short
Texting and driving! Tut tut! lol

Now I am not a techo at all but once when we had a distorted picture on our tv we were advised to change the HDMI cable to a higher quality. We did that and prob was solved.

Can the same be said for sound?

Cheers ray

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reading your last post and in particular what you want to achieve I am now starting to think that you bought the wrong keyboard and a Workstation would have been a better choice than the PA Arranger.

I have a Korg Kross 2 and can certainly set up far more than 3-4 zones with 16 layers in each Combi, I am not suggesting that this would be a better buy, I am just using it as an example.
Biggles, I’ve got 4-5 workstations, I really bought the PA1000 to replace our drummer on weeknights when we’re a duo. The PA1000’s intros, variations,endings, etc are so convenient, and I was hoping I could play key bass and work the drums with my left hand.

Reaction score
You sort of can do that with the PA but it is far from satisfactory.

The whole ethos of an Arranger is for the left hand to trigger chord changes during the playback of a Style.

You could initiate playback of the Style then change the backing track to drums and play them individually but then you are stuck with the backing rytham being what it is, the upper section of the keyboard could then be set to play Bass.

As I said prior I do think that it is the wrong keyboard for your needs, you could have simply created the drum tracks you want to use in your Duo in a DAW or in a Workstation, save them and call them up via the Sequencer as needed or even bought a drum machine which would have been way cheaper than buying a 1000.

Going back to you original question, have you sorted the Piano sounds to your satisfaction yet?

Reaction score
You sort of can do that with the PA but it is far from satisfactory.
The whole ethos of an Arranger is for the left hand to trigger chord changes during the playback of a Style.

You could initiate playback of the Style then change the backing track to drums and play them individually but then you are stuck with the backing rytham being what it is, the upper section of the keyboard could then be set to play Bass.

As I said prior I do think that it is the wrong keyboard for your needs, you could have simply created the drum tracks you want to use in your Duo in a DAW or in a Workstation, save them and call them up via the Sequencer as needed or even bought a drum machine which would have been way cheaper than buying a 1000.

Going back to you original question, have you sorted the Piano sounds to your satisfaction yet?
Yeah, I’ve got hundreds of quality sequences, but the guy I play for won’t/can’t use them. Not to mention I always have to be ready to lengthen or shorten any song, since he constantly changes the arrangements, adding solos,etc.... and we do a lot of impromptu medleys.
And yeah, I’ve got 3 different drum machines, which I’ve used successfully while playing bass guitar, but not while playing keyboards.
I’m hoping I can make the PA1000 work. I’m using it right now as my “2nd” keyboard, using it for Organ, some Electric Pianos, etc. while using one of my Roland Fantoms for the Bass/(Whatever is needed) Splits.
I usually create a unique performance for every song, just as I did when not having to also cover “Bass duties”.
I would just find someone else to play with, but we’re about the only ones in our area that are gigging 6-7 days a week. Almost everyone else in this area is lucky to find 2-3 gigs a week.
I’ll make it work or find something else. I AM going to try those Yamaha C5 piano samples though, if I can ever get a day off to download and tweak them.
Thanks for all of your help and advise!

Reaction score
6-7 gigs a week, you are a workaholic.

At least with the PA you can let it do its thing providing the main backing and for this it is well suited.

Good luck getting yourself sorted

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles. Man, I love this forum! I have learned a lot (and spent a lot of time) perusing these threads, especially in the Korg, Roland, and General categories.
My grandpa used to say,”ALL of us are smarter than ANY of us”, and that’s certainly true here. The collective knowledge and experience on this site is as useful as it is amazing!

Reaction score
No worries! You're a good man:).
Your response indicates respect and honesty.

But wait . .:eek:

Texting and driving! Tut tut! lol

Now I am not a techo at all but once when we had a distorted picture on our tv we were advised to change the HDMI cable to a higher quality. We did that and prob was solved.

Can the same be said for sound?

Cheers ray
Ray thats a great idea... unfortunately it was one of the first things I tried. I even “exchanged channels” with another keyboard that sounded great, changing the entire signal path, to no avail.
Since I’ve had it, I’ve tried it on several PA’s... large small, concert size, etc but “ I can’t get no satisfaction “. I’m using it because I like the draw bars, and some of the other sounds, but not the pianos. When I can slow down a minute, I’m going to download and try that Yamaha Grand that’s available for the PA1000. But again, it might just be my “trailer park taste”.

Reaction score
Doug

Its Reuban’s Yamaha Piano sound file that I suggested you try many weeks ago, it really is way better than the standard Korg piano sounds.

Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed Reuben’s Yamaha C5 Samples...
WOW! Finally my PA1000 sounds like a REAL PIANO!!!!
I had decided to sell it and buy something else, but Reuben’s C5 changed my mind! It’s a keeper now!
Thank you Reuben for sharing it with us... you’re a Genius!!!!

Reaction score
They are working you to hard Doug.

I get that its a family business but there has to be a work/life balance, you will be a long time dead.

Ask a Question