PA1000 Piano Sounds

Reaction score
Don't forget when you purchase a new arranger it will usually have a flat sound, if you edit some of the piano sounds by adding effect you can get a pretty good result also eq'ing individual sounds can make a different or the global Eq. It's a case of digging a little deeper..

Reaction score
I just bought a new PA1000 and the “piano sounds” SUCK! It sounds like a toy compared to my Roland keyboards.
I bought it to use on my Monday-Thursday Duo gigs, to add drums and manual bass to the act. But the piano sounds are SO horrible, and even the best bass sounds are SAD compared to my Rolands.
AND it was so “deep” I had to buy a new road case for it, as none of mine would fit,)
I’ve tried tweaking the equalizer and effects, with no luck. $2000 and it sounds like a 1970s Casio...
Does anyone have an idea that would help? (yeah, I know, just buy a Roland Ea-7)
Doug.. I've been reading with a lot of interest your posts and comments on the sucky sounds of the PA-1000 pianos. I have the exact same problem. I love the overall keyboard, but the piano sounds really suck. I use a Bose L1 for live performance and there are just NO pianos that come even close to the piano sound I was getting with my $300, 10-yr. old Yamaha PSR 520! I was wondering if you ever found a workable solution? I installed the "salamander" piano package, and they're much better, but still not good enough for live performance. (they sound pretty good through headphones or the onboard speakers. I've even considered just mike-ing the onboard speakers through my P.A., but haven't tried that yet.

Reaction score
Welcome Dave.

The piano sounds of Reuben are still available just not via the link I gave.

Head over and join Korgforums.com and search and you will find his latest versions.

I installed them on my 700 and found them vastly superior to the standard.

Korg staff seem to be stuck in their opinion that their Italian Grand Piano is the best but imo Reuben’s C5 blows it away imo that is.

BTW
Do remember that the Korg will have a very flat and muted frequency curve as standard, they need the Eq adjusting and it really brings everything alive. Additionally each sound can be customised with each of its parameters changed to suit.

Reaction score
Have a look at this video, it may lead to you in to installing additional piano sounds.

I know from the korg forum that owners have also converted other manufacturers soundfonts into Korg’s format.

I've installed these piano sounds on my PA-1000, and they are an improvement, but still not up to the standards I'd expect from a keyboard in this price range. I've been extremely disappointed in the PA-1000 acoustic piano sounds ever since I've owned it. Like Doug L. stated, it doesn't sound too bad through the onboard speakers and/or headphones, but every P.A. I've tried (Bose L1, Roland, JBL..) all lack realistic grand piano sound.

Reaction score
The Salamander sounds is as good as it gets to my ears with a Korg Pa.

If you have not enabled the Eq then my advice is to do so.

Out of the box your Pa will have a very muted and flat sound, turn on the Eq and try the different available presets to see which is preferred. They can each be customised to suit.

If you still are not happy look on Korg’s Bonusware website for additional sounds that are available.

If you are still not happy sell your Pa and buy a Yamaha SX900 where the piano sounds will be superior, rest are not as good as Korg’s but hey ho that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Reaction score
Like Doug L. stated, it doesn't sound too bad through the onboard speakers and/or headphones, but every P.A. I've tried (Bose L1, Roland, JBL..) all lack realistic grand piano sound.
If it sounds okay to you on the built-in speakers and headphones but not in an amp, then the problem is the amp. An amp should sound at least as good as the on-board speakers. Piano is the hardest thing for an amp to do well. I don't know about all the Bose L1 models, but the L1 Compact is not a good choice for piano. Roland amps are not great choices for piano... most are terrible, some are okay, none are great. Higher end JBLs can be quite good for piano, low-cost JBLs are not. If you're looking at budget powered speakers (say, under $600), check out any of the models from Electro-Voice (especially the ZXa1), or the Alto TS308 which is surprisingly good for the money. Maybe the QSC CP series, I haven't heard those. I also haven't heard the JBL Eon 600/700 series, they might be okay, but my guess is that those others will sound better, I generally haven't found recent JBLs to be competitive sound-wise until you get to the PRX series. If your budget is higher, QSC K8.2 is another good choice.

Reaction score
If it sounds okay to you on the built-in speakers and headphones but not in an amp, then the problem is the amp. An amp should sound at least as good as the on-board speakers. Piano is the hardest thing for an amp to do well. I don't know about all the Bose L1 models, but the L1 Compact is not a good choice for piano. Roland amps are not great choices for piano... most are terrible, some are okay, none are great. Higher end JBLs can be quite good for piano, low-cost JBLs are not. If you're looking at budget powered speakers (say, under $600), check out any of the models from Electro-Voice (especially the ZXa1), or the Alto TS308 which is surprisingly good for the money. Maybe the QSC CP series, I haven't heard those. I also haven't heard the JBL Eon 600/700 series, they might be okay, but my guess is that those others will sound better, I generally haven't found recent JBLs to be competitive sound-wise until you get to the PRX series. If your budget is higher, QSC K8.2 is another good choice.
thanks.. I recently purchased a pair of JBL PRS One's for a good price. I've yet to use them on a gig. They're a bit to haul compared to my compact Bose L1, but I'm hoping they solve my dilemma. I think running two in stereo will help with the overall sound...

Ask a Question