PC2X sound deterioration?

Reaction score
Greetings. I have a PC2X I've been playing as my regular gigging rig for over 15 years, and it's been rock-solid, with great piano and Hammond sounds (which is 95% of what I use, with the occasional Wurli and Clav thrown in). But when I play it these days, it seems like the sound has deteriorated. The piano seems more grainy, less harmonic fullness, kind of flat-sounding. Same with the organ... grainy, not the sonic detail I remember it having. I'm wondering if there could be some electronic cause of this. It's the kind of thing, if there were tubes and capacitors, I'd suspect them as being old and worn out, but of course it doesn't. Has anyone else experienced this, or is there an electronic wizard who could suggest something I might look at? I have tried resetting it to factory specs/conditions, but that doesn't help. Thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Stupid question: have you checked it with a different amp? It might be the amp that's failing, not the keyboard.

Reaction score
Stupid question: have you checked it with a different amp? It might be the amp that's failing, not the keyboard.
It's a good question, and a good place to start, but I have tried a few systems, as well as headphones. While they all sound different, of course, I still hear the same flatter, harsher sound than I was used to on the different systems.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's still electrolytic capacitors in EVERY keyboard these days, regardless of make or model.

Problem is either failing caps or a failing output transistor.

You can run some tests with an ordinary DVOM these days but other more specialized tests involve an ESR meter and a scope.

You can learn some of these basic tests from Youtube videos (I strongly recommend the EEVBlog and Mr Carlson's Lab channels) and learn some of the basic theory of troubleshooting.

On the other hand with a 20 year old machine it may be as simple as opening it up and eyeballing the electrolytic caps for leaks and bulges.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There's still electrolytic capacitors in EVERY keyboard these days, regardless of make or model.

Problem is either failing caps or a failing output transistor.

You can run some tests with an ordinary DVOM these days but other more specialized tests involve an ESR meter and a scope.

You can learn some of these basic tests from Youtube videos (I strongly recommend the EEVBlog and Mr Carlson's Lab channels) and learn some of the basic theory of troubleshooting.

On the other hand with a 20 year old machine it may be as simple as opening it up and eyeballing the electrolytic caps for leaks and bulges.

Gary ;)
Thank you, great information. Gives me a informed path forward.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good luck diagnosing the problem. Non catastrophic noisy circuit failures can be a bitch to diagnose.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question