Piano In 21 Days approach

tjw

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have had a 5th-grade band teacher who spent extra time with me and counseled my parents about who to take me to for lessons. I learned lots. Including, that teachers are some really wonderful people. Maybe there is a teacher within your reach who is, like mine was, a really-accomplished musician and a generous person.

In my day, no one thought that a computer would ever be owned by an individual family, or person....of course, neither did IBM :) but the public library had lots of books on music.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have had a 5th-grade band teacher who spent extra time with me and counseled my parents about who to take me to for lessons. I learned lots. Including, that teachers are some really wonderful people. Maybe there is a teacher within your reach who is, like mine was, a really-accomplished musician and a generous person.

In my day, no one thought that a computer would ever be owned by an individual family, or person....of course, neither did IBM :) but the public library had lots of books on music.....
Guys!
Thank you all very much for all the positive and helpful responses. I will surely check all the links.

@Biggles I have a keyboard at my cousin's place, they live next door. My folks probably think that I'd easily be distracted by music and won't focus on studies if they get me a keyboard or allow me to take music lessons.

@happyrat1 there's no way I am taking those "routes" :D

@Rayblewit Thank You :)

PS: I still am very tempted by Piano in 21 days, I can't help it. :D

Reaction score
You could always ask for cash or a fixed period subscription for you Birthday or Christmas .

As well as your Piano in 21 days check out

There are a few freebie vids but the main site is subscription, suggest you subscribe to the Channel and once they have your email address you may be offered trial periods to check it out.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
@happyrat1 there's no way I am taking those "routes" :D

Exactly how old are you? Are you doing badly in school? Then your parents may be right. Lastly are you allergic to finding a burger flipping job this summer to stock up some cash? Once school ends for the year in June you might want to consider getting a job and paying for your own lessons.

Gary ;)

tjw

Reaction score
My folks probably think that I'd easily be distracted by music and won't focus on studies if they get me a keyboard or allow me to take music lessons.

I'm an old man. I'm a grandfather, too. I was "distracted" by music very badly, my distraction to music took a "branch" when I became secondarily "distracted" by how my electronic organ (showing my age, it was made with tubes :) ) produced sound and was so impeccably tuned.

My "distractions" lasted for my entire life, providing two very satisfying careers for me :)

But, there was the initial period, in which I had to satisfy my folks that I could keep my grades up in school. It required sacrifice, I would have much rather been playing and experimenting with electronics. And, there was a key element, my parents and I could talk with them about music, my future....

they didn't initially believe I had any chance at a music career.... but because I didn't give up, they started to catch the vision....and got behind me.....that music teacher I told you about.....he was a key person in it....he talked to my folks about me.....and his dedication to my welfare was so apparent, my parents did exactly as he said, took me to the teachers he recommended, even though they were far away.....

Don't guess about what they think.....tell them your heart....if they are indeed concerned you will slight your studies, tell them you won't.... and show them you didn't.....

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
@BlueMoon
Everyone of us here on this thread has given you good advice. We are all in our 60's (thereabouts) and have life experience.
But ultimately your parents have control at the moment. Whether they are right or wrong it is their judgement of you which you need to follow. But soon you will be free to make your own decisions in life. Just be patient and concentrate on your studies. Time does go quickly believe me and before you know it you will be independent and in your 20's playing music on you very own keyboard.
Keep playing your cousins piano in the meantine in your spare time. Take music lessons later after you graduate. Late teens, 20's and even 30's is never too late.
Good luck, be patient and follow your dream.
Ray

Reaction score
Some questions for you to ask yourself, we are not after you telling us the answers but maybe you can get an insight into why your parents are sceptical by thinking about the questions and your answers.

How much time do you spend during a typical school week during evenings:-
Studying/doing homework
Playing PC/Console games
Playing sports
Playing the keyboard next door
Hanging out with your friends
Playing sports/training
Talking to your parents
Being active on social media

Additionally do you start something but do not continue with it?

What are your school grades?

Can they be better?

Why do you parents seem to think that music will be all consuming?

Your response to me has the word probably in the text which signifies that you have not really discussed the matter with your folks.

Remember do not post the answers, keep them to yourself just think.

Then think how you can demonstrate to your parents that schooling and grades are your main priority and you will be self disciplined with managing your non schooling activities so that they are not invasive into your schooling.

Reaction score
I went to the music academy for four years, learned the piano. Everything was classical, though. So I quickly lost interest. At the time, there was no way to be taught the piano by playing modern music, unless you went for private lessons which almost nobody could afford.

I can read sheet music, different keys, but don't like playing like that. I play by ear now, and thanks to those four years, I've got the basic finger techniques covered. Been a long time since I've played, so I'm rusty, but nothing some practice can't solve.
I don't want to play in a band or anything like that, I just want to do my 'thing'.

I will, however, be checking out all the links in this thread ;)

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering how much is his course? I really wanna try it but I'm afraid I cant afford it hope you reply

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering how much is his course? I really wanna try it but I'm afraid I cant afford it hope you reply

Welcome.

There is no quick way to become a keyboard player, but there are shortcuts to get playing at a basic level.

Watch the video in my thread above or here it is again.

Best of all it is free and will get you started.

It really can be a case of learning about 6 different chords and you can then play along to thousands of pop songs.

But, commitment is required and hours and hours of practice.

Have you bought a keyboard yet?

The right choice of keyboard to start with will make a considerable difference to the ease of learning.

Ask a Question