Prodipe MIDI USB not working

Reaction score
Hi All,
I bought a Prodipe MIDI USB 1in/1out device about 2 years ago but did not use it. So now I tried it on my Desktop running Windows 7 and also my Windows 10 laptop and it does not read either of my keyboards. I have an old Lowery LK-30 (steam powered!) and also a Roland FP-1 piano but neither work with this device. I tried emailing Prodipe without any reply, so this morning I hauled out my old XP laptop and it works fine. The box for the device says that it is compatible with W7 and does not require any driver. I have also tried searching for drivers for it, but could not find anything to help. In device manager it comes up under Sound, video and game controllers as "Unknown device". I would appreciate any help. Thanks very much!

Keith R

Reaction score
O.K.....so since I asked this question, I have found that it has to do with USB 2 and USB 3 ports. This gadget seems to only work on USB 2 ports. guess that I can just live with it like that, but I'm still curious to know a little more.

Keith R

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
USB 3 is supposed to be backwards-compatible with USB 2, but apparently that isn't always true. I'm not certain, but I think the version of the USB cable might be more important than the version of the USB port in this respect, because if a given device requires a USB 1.1 or 2 connection then you cannot use a USB 3 cable to connect it to a USB 3 port, otherwise I think the port will treat it as a USB 3 connection and will use a faster data speed; whereas if you use a USB 2 cable to connect it to a USB 3 port then presumably the port will see that it's a USB 2 connection and should use a slower data speed.

Reaction score
Thanks Michael. I appreciate the info! I need to play a lot more with MIDI stuff to understand everything better. This forum will sure help!

Ask a Question