Separating a sound effect from a song... Need help :(

Reaction score
I've found a quite funny sound in a song, and I want to separate it from the rest of the song, so that I have that sound only, without the other instruments... Here's the sound

@ 5.56

I've tried just cutting the song, but the piano enters before the sound has finished fading, and I don't want to have the piano...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Ah yes, Jordan's whistle sound...

It turns up in a few of his solos (Scenes from New York, ...Seasons springs to mind), although as you say it might be difficult to extract. I'll have a listen to some others to see if it's better. In the meantime, you might try a high-pass filter applied to the end of the clip to cut out the lower freq piano part. Start at about 10KHz then gradually turn it up from there would be my advice.

Reaction score
That sound's called a slide whistle; I bet you could find it somewhere though.

For that matter, I don't know the name of the track that the honky-tonk and slide whistle excerpt is from, but I know I've seen it on the Jordan Rudess Online Conservatory, in the section of the site where he has some clips up from his Keyboard Madness DVD. In that clip, he's going through his own parts, so there might be an exposed version of the slide whistle you could sample.

Really though, it's a common enough sound, so I bet it'd be easy enough to find somewhere else too.

Reaction score
Okey, I'll start off with searching for if I can find the sound somewhere, where someone has already done the job for me :p

If that doesn't work, I'll see if I have a program that can cut out specific frequencies, if not, I guess I just have to get one :p

Thanks for the answers :)

EDIT: Just found a site with TONS of different slide whistles.... Will take some time to look through them all, but it might be in there somewhere :)

Here's the site, if anyone else is interested: http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/display/sounds.cfm/sound_group_iid.994

EDIT 2: Just noticed that you have to pay for the sounds :(

Ask a Question