Some keys not working. Casio wk 3700

Reaction score
Casio wk 3700. After a few months of not being used, some notes are not sounding. From b just below middle c to f# above. They will sound once and then not sound again.
Does anyone here know what sort of issues are involved? Is it easily fixable/worth fixing or getting a new keyboard?
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Any suggestions on where to seek help would be appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Possibly the key membrane switches just need a cleaning, or possibly just a squirt of contact cleaner on the ribbon cable headers while removing and reseating them CAREFULLY.

There's tons of videos on Youtube on DIY keyboard repair.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+repair+a+midi+keyboard

If your attempts fail, it's not worth bringing it to a repair shop as the keyboard is worth less than $100 AUD on the used market.

Also if it needs any new parts, also not worthwhile investing.

But chances are, it's a simple matter of a dirty contact or a few dirty contact somewhere on the switching boards or the cable connectors.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Gary.
I will have a look at that website now and report back.
I agree with you about it not being worthwhile spending money on. It's a pain though with just those few keys not sounding.
Hugh.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Worst comes to worst, just buy a different keyboard and sell off the 3700 for parts.

I managed to pick up a brand new WK-6600 with full warranty last Xmas in the Boxing Day Sales for $169 CAD. If you do some careful shopping around you could probably find a decent deal as well.

The Canadian dollar is pretty much at par with the AUD these days so prices should be comparable. The only thing that kills you guys down under is shipping costs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I watched the You Tube clips on organ repairs and spent quite a few hours on the key contacts and applying carbon to the rubber strip contact points. Vacuumed out a bit of dust as well.
Initially the problem was still there but after leaving it turned on overnight it is now working perfectly. I didn't squirt any contact cleaner on the ribbon connectors like you suggested; maybe sucked some dust away with the vacuum. if the problem happens again, I will try that .
Successful outcome !!
Thanks for your helpful advice.
Hugh

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear it was a cheap repair. Keep your fingers crossed that the problem doesn't return again soon :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question