Stand alone keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi,

#1 -I'm looking for recommendations for a keyboard with semi-weighted keys that has a descent piano sound (if it had a nice Rhodes sounds as well, that would be a plus!)...not too big. Something I don't have to have my computer on to use. (which is what I'm doing with my controller) Something priced reasonably...I'm a guitar player;) (88 keys...unless you got a super recommendation with less)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Roland Juno DS88 or DS76.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I like the Juno DS, but there is no semi-weighted 88 (and the weighted 88 is on the large side, too), it's pricey compared to the Numa, and while it is far more capable than the Numa overall, I don't think it's any better for the purpose at hand (piano/EP).

Reaction score
That Numa Compact looks/sounds perfect! Patches sound fantastic, super lightweight (which I need)….slim. Man, that's going to be the one! Thank you!!!

BTW... what's the difference between the Compact 2 and the Compact 2x?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Firstly the OP requested 88 keys unless there was a suitable smaller option. That usually means fully weighted hammer action which the DS88 has. Secondly the DS line is very reasonably priced for what you get and has infinitely more capability than the Numa Compact.

There's nothing wrong in my mind when you are getting way more bang for the buck than you asked and the DS will never embarrass him on stage while offering huge opportunities for growth in years to come.

As an all around keyboard I think the DS still blows away all the competitors when it comes to bang for the buck.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Firstly the OP requested 88 keys unless there was a suitable smaller option. That usually means fully weighted hammer action which the DS88 has. Secondly the DS line is very reasonably priced for what you get and has infinitely more capability than the Numa Compact.

There's nothing wrong in my mind when you are getting way more bang for the buck than you asked and the DS will never embarrass him on stage while offering huge opportunities for growth in years to come.

As an all around keyboard I think the DS still blows away all the competitors when it comes to bang for the buck.

Gary ;)
That DS88 does seem like a heck of a keyboard...but I'm in a wheelchair and that Numa is half the weight...and pretty inexpensive. I'll never gig on a keyboard...I'm a guitarist/writer and just a hacker on keys;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fair enough. I see you have your reasons but if unweighted keys are not a dealbreaker then there's always the DS61 for considerably less.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
what's the difference between the Compact 2 and the Compact 2x?
Sonically, enhanced organ and synth on the 2X. Operationally, mostly the addition of the 9 sliders on the 2X which operate as organ drawbars for organ sounds, and also as performing/programming controls for synth sounds (filter cutoff/resonance, LFO speed, envelope controls), and also as definable MIDI CC controls for use when integrating external sounds.

Firstly the OP requested 88 keys unless there was a suitable smaller option. That usually means fully weighted hammer
First line: "looking for recommendations for a keyboard with semi-weighted keys". But the DS76 would work. Still, the Numa is cheaper, doesn't require sacrificing the 88 keys, and actually has an action that I think feels better for piano playing, which is the primary task at hand. Both are great keyboards. I own the DS61 and the Numa, and each has some real advantages over the other.

Reaction score
Juno ds 88 is £750

Numa is £335

Numa has the semi weighted keys the Op asked for, plus it is smaller than the Juno and its piano sounds seem OK on the review I watched, downside is the limited instrument voices in only 88.

Juno has far more options and is more versatile.

Both are impressive keyboards for not a lot of money.

I offer a suggestion, one guitar player to another, you do not necessarily need 88 keys or weighted keys so if you expand your criteria that may help.

A Juno DS 61 is great but also consider what I have in the Korg Kross 2 61, its newer that the Juno and is considerably lighter and smaller overall.

Perhaps if you come back with abit more info on what you want to use it for and your budget we can offer up more suggestions.

If budget is not an issue then the best overall then it is the Korg Kronos or if its primarily Piano then look no further than a Nord

Reaction score
Juno ds 88 is £750

Numa is £335

Numa has the semi weighted keys the Op asked for, plus it is smaller than the Juno and its piano sounds seem OK on the review I watched, downside is the limited instrument voices in only 88.

Juno has far more options and is more versatile.

Both are impressive keyboards for not a lot of money.

I offer a suggestion, one guitar player to another, you do not necessarily need 88 keys or weighted keys so if you expand your criteria that may help.

A Juno DS 61 is great but also consider what I have in the Korg Kross 2 61, its newer that the Juno and is considerably lighter and smaller overall.

Perhaps if you come back with abit more info on what you want to use it for and your budget we can offer up more suggestions.

If budget is not an issue then the best overall then it is the Korg Kronos or if its primarily Piano then look no further than a Nord

I'm looking to become a more competent pianist...something just for practicing and noodling. I suppose if I became more comfortable with it...I might use it as my midi controller during recording...instead of the Nektar Impact GX61 I'm currently using. I only need the sounds to be descent enough to inspire practicing. (which like everything, the better they sound;) But "descent" will do. I'm not really interested in spending a lot of $$$ as I already spent a TON this past month...lol. I'm going to get a nice, heavy duty stand to keep it on and I'm like to be able to just hit a switch and noodle whenever I want. At the present...everything is through my recording computer. $500 range is a nice mark for me...I wasn't going to go more than $700-$800 max. But I like the sound of $500;)

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, if its a digital piano you want there are a couple of option I would suggest you research further.

Check out Yamaha P series digital pianos, there are a couple either side of your budget.

Include in your research the Cadio Privia PX160 which is $500 from Sweetwater (only quoting their price as they are the only music shop I know of in the USA).

If you can do try to play them at a music store.

Reaction score
True Anotherscott but its still worth considering options.

Look at

Casio PX-160 Specs and Features
  • 88-key fully-weighted keyboard with simulated Ivory & Ebony keytops
  • Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action II
  • Touch Sensitivity (3 types, Off)
  • Sound: Multi-Dimensional Morphing AiR Sound Source
  • 128-note polyphony
  • 18 instrument sounds (5 pianos)
  • 60 preset piano songs
  • Modes: Split (Low-range bass tone only), Dual, Duo (Duet Play)
  • Lesson Function (ability to practice each hand’s part separately)
  • 2-track MIDI recorder
  • Metronome, Transpose, Fine-tuning, Octave shift
  • Temperament: 17 types
  • Speakers: 8W + 8W (12cm x 2)
  • Connections: USB to Host, Headphone jacks (2), Line Out, Sustain jack
  • 132.2 x 29.3 x 14.1 cm (52” x 11.5” x 5.5”)
  • 11.1kg (24.5 lbs)
  • Street Price: $499
  • Warranty: 1-year manufacturer’s warranty (extendable to 3 years after
PLUS

It get a far better user score than its competitors including the Numa and you do get what you pay for.

Hence it is worth considering, if it is a Piano that you want to learn.

Pianos have weighted keys and it will stand you well in the future.

Reaction score
I don't know about the user score you're talking about, but PX160 and Numa Compact both have their virtues. In this case, the OP specifically asked for semi-weighted keys, and a lightweight board because he's in a wheelchair.

Reaction score
Being "a guitar player" wont help you.... Im one of those, for the last 35 year but in the last year have spent about 5k plus on an RD2000, FA07, Legend Organ Expander, Novation Peak, stands, amplification, mixer.........

Reaction score
Being "a guitar player" wont help you.... Im one of those, for the last 35 year but in the last year have spent about 5k plus on an RD2000, FA07, Legend Organ Expander, Novation Peak, stands, amplification, mixer.........

Yeah, I can see where it can get just as addicting ($$) as anything else. I've also started working on bass and just bought two basses and a amp...lol.

btw...reporting on the Numa Compact 2...

It feels fantastic, sounds are "ok"...probably pretty good through amp or headphones...but the 10w...speaker in front means it's pretty weak on the volume. But, that oks...it's compact enough that I can wield it around if I need to. My Sweetwater rep found an open box, so I got $100 off. Honestly, I can't complain. I greatly appreciate the recommendations!

Reaction score
It feels fantastic, sounds are "ok"...probably pretty good through amp or headphones...but the 10w...speaker in front means it's pretty weak on the volume.
Yes, as in most other low-cost boards with built-in speakers, the built-in speakers are pretty lame. Definitely use it with headphones or an amp if you can, it will sound much better. The speakers can sometimes be convenient to have, but if that's the only way you've heard it so far, the board is much better sounding than you think it is.

Ask a Question