Trying to learn no idea where to start

Reaction score
Hey im 21 years old and looking for a way to get my feet wet here, I self taught myself bass and guitar but I cant figure out where to start with keyboards.

Like would I take piano lessons even though I have no interest in classical stuff? What keyboard should I get? Like I really have no idea where to start. Im more into indie stuff and I sorta wanna play along with my friends band but I have no clue where to start

any ideas?

Reaction score
yea... the eternal dilema hehe.

Well, your biggest problem is the starter keyboard, and the easiest way to pick one
is by knowing what are you going to play and which sounds are you going to use.

For example, if you're going to spend most of your time playing a hammond organ, then
there is no much use in full weighted hammer action keys cause you'll brake your fingers while sliding and playing licks hehe, on the other side hammer keys are the best
thing you can get for playing the piano as it is.

Next, you have to name your price range. New or used etc. when you get all that
sorted out, then it'll be much easier.

Reaction score
One big thing you have going for you...you're young! Gots lots of time to be a good keyboardist. If you're going to play with friends in a band, you need to figure out what kind of keys go with their style of music. Sysryn has some very good points for you. I played with a band last year, and most of the songs were piano type music, I had to use a few types of piano samples, but only had like 6 organ songs all night. Now... I am in a band and almost all the songs call for a B3 type sound. Which I like best. If you play guitar ( I have for over 40 years) and bass, you should have an ear. You need to learn rudiments and all the chords. Instruction is a plus. Need way more info from you to suggest any keyboard. ROT

Reaction score
if you have an ear and the desire....this will get you started....although i wouldnt recomend this approach for a little kid....this method really dosent teach "notation"....its all about forming chords and plying by ear

http://www.playpianotoday.com/

Reaction score
Ok my bdugets around 300-500 dollars I'd say I really dont wanna spend over that especially on my first kboard

Also I really have no clue what kinda sound, any of you dudes ever listen to deathcab for cutie or the postal service,

Reaction score
So to recap I should take some lessons? Do I just take regular piano ones?

Also any recomendations for a keyb oard withint the 300-400 dollar range

Ask a Question