Viewcon & PSR E-323

Reaction score
Hi..
I have Yamaha PSR E-323 and I bought cheap viewcon cable:
EG1504-2-USB-to-MIDI-Cable.jpg

And I have only problem.. Yamaha PSR e323 doesnt have MIDI in PC modes. There´s only PC1 and PC2. And on cable lights only red light, yellow and green do nothing. How I can connect it? Can you help me please?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hej Experion, hej Stanley123,

first you should do:

Connect the PSR-E323/YPT-320 to external equipment
only after turning off power for all devices. Then, turn on
the power, first to the PSR-E323/YPT-320, then to the con-
nected external equipment. Reverse this order when you
turn the power off.
Then you should connect the instrument with your computer with your midi/usb cable;
look at page 58 of the manual and keep an eye on connecting the right way.

That means:

Put the midi-out of the cable in the midi.in of the E323; put the midi-in of the cable in the midi-out of the E323 and the other end in the usb plug of your PC.

Then turn on the power in the right order - see above -.

When the instrument is connected with a computer, it transmits/receives performance data.

Then you have to decide what you want to do:

Change certain midi settings -see detailed information on page 59 of the manual.

If you want to transfer data between E323 and PC you need a install a musicsoftware downloader - see page 60 of the manual.

Reaction score
Hi goldi
When the instrument is connected with a computer, it transmits/receives performance data.

But here is the problem - any program cant detect anything... I cant install driver for e323 because it says "No device is connected"... But i connected it...I dont know if is problem with keyboard or with cable..

E: When I use synthesia, output works, but input not.. But i must switch cables (in-in out-out)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can't install the driver because MIDI is NOT plug n play.

Like I said previously, if you want the Yamaha software to detect the keyboard, you have to use a USB AB cable like I linked above.

Reaction score
@happyrat1:
The PSR-E323 has no USB terminal - only midi in and midi out - so you can't use the cable you suggested.

@Xperion:
Did you download the musicsoft downloader as described on page 60 of the manual and install it?

If yes than I would say your cable is defect; go to a music-shop and buy a Yamaha UX16 or similar USB-MIDI interface

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Goldi >>> My Bad. I didn't realize that was such an old model of keyboard. By all means continue to advise the OP on the subject.

BTW, MIDI is not plug and play. Your MIDI USB adapter should be a class compliant device and should automatically be detected and installed when recognized by windows.

On the other hand, unless you are using some weird Yamaha specific software, the actual MIDI keyboard would and should not be automatically detected by most MIDI software. This information must usually be configured manually for each software (Sequencer, Patch Editor, Patch Librarian, etc.) that you are trying to use with the keyboard.

Also be advised that while the official MIDI standard specifies that MIDI OUT should always be connected to MIDI IN, some of the cheaper USB interfaces actually reverse the connections, just to add to the confusion.

Furthermore, the process can often involve having to adjust settings on the keyboard itself as well as in the MIDI software on the computer.

You said that you managed to get some output with IN-IN OUT-OUT configuration, so that is probably the right configuration for this particular interface.

I'm not familiar with the program "Synethesia." Is it a MIDI sequencer or a MIDI Song Player or something else?

At any rate it has very limited MIDI settings on the keyboard itself, only five functions listed between pages 58 and 62 of the manual.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=my.yamaha.com&asset_id=10816

Of those settings, PC1 and PC2 seem to be stock configurations aimed at working with their own particular software.

My advice to you is to use third party MIDI software and leave the PC Mode setting to OFF. The OFF setting seems to be a proper configuration for working with most third party sequencers and player software.

At any rate, sometimes it simply requires some trial and error to get a particular keyboard configured properly to work with MIDI but you really only have a limited number of permutations to try before you get the sounds out of it that you want.

More importantly, make sure that your MIDI software is properly configured so that it recognizes your USB MIDI interface and then set the keyboard type within the software as GM (general MIDI) or XG (Yamaha Specific) and it should be able to work fine at that point.

You might also want to do some googling on how to use MIDI software and check out some instructional videos on Youtube if you still have no idea what exactly you are doing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, I looked up Synthesia and see now that it is a third party instructional program.

Try running it with PC Mode set to OFF. That should allow it to work perfectly.

Also, another great instructional program that allows learning from MIDI files is PianoBooster which is a freeware under the GNU public License and available in builds for Windows, Mac and PC at

http://pianobooster.sourceforge.net/

Try your keyboard with that with the PC Mode set to OFF and see what happens.

Reaction score
I found synthesia randomly because i had to play .mid file.. I want to use my keyboard with FL studio or etc. But it doesnt work. I watched some tutorials for FL studio or Ableton, but it doesnt work - any software dont receive any data. I download MIDI-OX but it doesnt receive any data..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Does MIDI OX not receive data in all three modes with the cables switched either way around? Sometimes you have to try every permutation.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Then try a new interface. If it still doesn't work then you probably have a blown MIDI port on the keyboard.

Ask a Question