Volume settings--Yamaha

Reaction score
I have been playing a Yamaha MM6 with a LOUD jam band. We have a very loud 5 string bass and a couple of overdriven guitars. It is awfully hard to cut thru the mix.

Normally the default volume setting is 100 for the Yamaha voices. You can pump them up to 127 and save it as a performance mode, which is what I did with a bunch of organ patches that I usually use with these guys. This works out OK.

The problem is, sometimes I get sick of those 8 patches in my performance bank, and want to try a whole new patch (like maybe a horn). Well... it is way too soft, because it is back to the default of 100. I don't have time in a live situation to go into "edit mode " and pump the volume to 127.

This is the first keybd I have ever had, so I don't know if this is a common problem with other boards. What I really wish is that I could globally control the level of all the patches, but I reckon that kind of control is limited to the high-end Motifs & such. (mine is the economy model),

Other than twirling all my knobs to the max and asking the jam guy to raise my keyboards in the PA, is there any way to control my volume on a global level?

Reaction score
re

Why have your patches set up to 127 in the first place Laura? The extra 27 over and above the 100 is just for those quieter voices that need a boost to give the same audible output as the other voices. Bring all your patches back to 100 and let the PA do the job of amplifying your signal.
Then if you want to use a new voice, at least it will have the same starting volume of 100 and you'll still have room to play around with the gain if you wish to save it as a patch.

e.g. I use just 2 patches, piano set at 100 and strings set at 80, master volume dial set at 3/4. That's always been plenty of signal for any amp/desk/PA I've plugged into.

Perhaps it's a small PA you're using? Do you share it with a vocalist?

Ask a Question