What are you listening to right now?

Reaction score
Mahavishnu Orchestra! Well now! Gary, my respect for you has quadrupled! I saw them decade ago in Maple Leaf Gardens. They were touring on the Birds of Fire album. It was my first real concert. The opening band was the Good Brothers. Then Mahvishnu and the main act was Frank Wappa and the Mothers of Invention. Great show! Frank was touring Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe! Not sure why the Good Brothers were on the bill though.Should have been some band like Gentle Giant or King Krimson.
Once my kitten gets old enough to not mess with things, I can get my old vinyl out and play my Zappa records, and other great ones.
Thanks for the reminder of Mahavishnu.
Did you check out the Dirty Knobs video for the song F#%k that guy? Great track!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IMHO John McLaughlin could play rings around any other guitarist from the 70's. I wore out two copies of that album on vinyl before I made the transition to CD's.

I haven't listened to the other D-Knobs track yet but I shall do so immediately after I leave here.

If ya liked Mahavishnu, how did you feel about Passport and Weather Report and Herbie Hancock? All of these were early favorites of mine and still are today. :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, here's what I've been enjoying today.

In the third video where she plays a tune blindfolded around 33 minutes in it's definitely worth the watch.

That RD-8 has a really nice tone too.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Didn't run into Passport and only new the Chamelean album by Herbie. Billy Cobham's Spectrum was on high rotation. Love Gentle Giant. Didn't run into much Weather Report either for some reason. Just Birdland. Trying to remember what we listened to back then is difficult. I used to go over to a friends house and he had a bedroom in the basement with a killer stereo. I went there most Friday and Saturday nights. A lot of consumables were used and abused along with other things that made everything sparkle! 'shrooms were a huge fav along with the bong. Those days ended decades ago. Genesis and Yes were loved. We always played a record and took the music very seriously. Ron would very carefully pull out a disc, clean it on the turntable and we'd proceed to listen to both sides. Pretty much never or rarely talking. Speech was unimportant compared to the music. We'd talk between sides of music. Usually buzzed muso talk.
Ah, the good old daze!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I owned a $400 Yamaha turntable in those days. I used an Astatic Record brush every time I played an album. I STILL managed to fry two copies of that album over the next 20 years. Other albums I played so much I had to replace them. Aqualung and Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull and ELP's Lucky Man album. And Bo Hansson's Magician's Hat. o_O

I'm managed to replace 99.9 % of the stuff I had on vinyl with CD's over the years and then some. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
40 years ago today ..... RIP John.

50 years ago, Imagine was an incendiary indictment of religion and a song about (GASP!!! EEK!!! :)) Atheism and Communism.

While I know people are laid back in the UK, but here, south of the border, (in the country they're making great again :D :D :D ) people totally lost their minds over this song. :eek:

I was just politically aware enough at the time to appreciate the irony of the world's greatest superpower attempting to become Mexico :p

Political talk shows were full of angry pundits and priests voicing their despair at "satan overrunning America."

40 years later and by my reckoning the view hasn't changed.

John's guitar would gently weep if he were alive today.

Adios muchachos!!!

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In retrospect, Imagine may have been the reason Mark David Chapman pulled the trigger.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
John Lennon was about peace. The country directly south of us, perhaps not so much.
I admit that I don't get religion. The beleif or the need of it. Use to pray when I was a little kid but that was just to get stuff for me. Totally selfish reasons. Now I don't pray. Don't see the need to. I guess if everybody's prays were answered simultaneously, all hell would break loose!
Sorry if I offend anybody. Almost.
I think the best thing to do is to enjoy music and leave the silliness to, well, I don't know who but I'm sure somebody does!

Ask a Question