Which headphones for recording singing and Moxf8?

Reaction score
Hello, I bought the Krk kns 8400. Need to return them after trying them once. Totally distort the true sound. The 20 % reverb seems like 95 or so. Useless for producing music.

Any other recommendation within the same price range: 150$?

I intentionally seeked out some semi open ones since I sing as well as play the keyboard. So want to avoid bleed from the headset while recording while stillbeing able to hear my voice.

Dino

Reaction score
Ok so you record and mix with those? Do you then take one cushion off the ear? Also do you think that the bass, announced as heavy, will overshine the voice frequencies?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I find the bass to be a bit weak on these. The mids and highs come thru very clear. I don't sing so I don't need to remove a cushion when I'm recording.

Anyway, Koss makes all sorts of models, some of them priced into the stratosphere, but they do headphones very well. In fact it's all that they do.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you ☺️ I thought I should get the semi open compromise to avoid opening one cushion. Little hard to decide except I wish to avoid buying two pairs for respectively recording and mixing. Some say closed backfor recording and open back for mixing to hear with a more narural room like sound. However as a singer I need to record while listening with the more open back quality. Hence the conpromise: Semi open.Problem is that as said, with the open back ones for recording, the headphones might bleed/leak to the microphone. I use a Roede M1. Don't know if they are prone to record noise from further away than the mouth. I tgink since it's dynamic, not. I have been recording with this mic while playing the dgx 660 Yamaha using the inbuilt speakers as monitors. Not sure if the speakers sound bleed to the mic??? Anyone knows? I might make a test IF HAVING some decent headphones.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm sure the yamaha speakers are bleeding thru to the mic.

Professional recording is done from a soundproof booth often a single track at a time.

The best you can hope for with a home recording setup is that you can keep the background to a minimum.

I'd suggest recording the keyboard and vocal tracks separately using the headphones when the mic is in play.

Koss does make some decent quality studio headphones though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
PMFJI --

Would it make sense to:

. . . turn off the DGX loudspeakers,

. . . run both the DGX "Line Out" signals, and the mic signal, into a mixer,

. . . and monitor on closed-back phones (or semi-open phones) from the mixer "Phones" output ?

That's assuming that a stereo recording (two-track) is desired.

I'd also support the user of in-ear monitors. I have a pair of Shure SE215's that I use a lot. And Senn HD280's, that I use less, since I got the SE215's.

. Charles

Ask a Question