Why is getting gigs SO HARD?!

rm5

Reaction score
Please feel free to remove this if it's somehow against the rules.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a beginner. To some people, I'm at a moderately high level in terms of my technical ability and repertoire knowledge.

I'm becoming more and more frustrated by how hard it's becoming for me to get even a $50 jazz gig, it's a little ridiculous. I live in a city with a very good music scene with a LOT of good musicians. It is not a large city; it only has around 600,000 people. Because of this, I understand that the competition is a bit more intense, with only a small (compared to many larger cities) selection of venues.

There are three places that come to mind that I can call "safe"—meaning that they're reliable in giving me work. Thus, I've performed at these three places a whole bunch, and I enjoy doing so. But then there are all these other venues. I've been looking at where other people are playing, and I've taken to contacting some of those places to see if they'll oblige. Unfortunately, 95% of them have not. I understand that this is somewhat typical. I've made a list of venues I've contacted (and that I have yet to contact), which totals around 40 venues. There are 25 that I've contacted, and around 15 that I still need to write to/call. I started to make this list in the summer, keep in mind.

The outcome: Of those 25 that I've contacted, ONE has given me a gig that I've actually done, and that's just one gig. This is in addition to the three "safeties" that I already mentioned. I've asked some of my musician friends (the ones who are REALLY good and VERY established) what the "method" is. All they've said is to keep following up once a week until you get a clear yes or no. If the answer is "no," try again a few months later. Thing is, I've done this, and it's not working. These people have told me that the way they get so many gigs (i.e., a gig or sometimes multiple every night practically) is by being as good as they are and that "people just gave them all the gigs" as soon as they moved to town. Now this is understandable; these musicians I'm speaking of are TOP-NOTCH, best-in-class, and in some cases, internationally renowned—who just happen to live where I do, in this mid-sized city.

So, from what I understand, there's no "magic formula" to doing it—but if that's the case, how come it's simply not working? What's giving "everyone else" (subjectively) all the jobs? It can't be musicianship or talent... again, I'm at what some people would call, a moderately high level of playing.

The other thing I've considered is the fact that the only places I've reached out to have been small restaurants that aren't high-paying. Also, I've never played any pop, rock, R&B, etc. gigs, and that's something I'd LOVE to dive into. But again, how do I actually do that?

Any ideas?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I believe this is a relevant subject and not "off topic" "General keyboard discussion" would certainly be appropriate and you may get more responses if moved to that forum, Maybe!

All sales and marketing requires effort and perseverance. It is hard to break into already saturated markets. Musicians trying to sell their talent is the same as a door to door salesman trying to sell vacuum cleaners.

You are not special!

You need to make yourself unique or special.
One problem you have @rm5 is that playing jazz is very limited. The jazz genre is not appealing to the modern generation. So right from the start you at the bottom.
Maybe broaden your repertoire to include blues and/or Latin jazz or blues rock. Depending on your audience, you need to have all types of music in the chamber ready to get people aroused.
The old Jazz standards are usually good starters. And dare I say some pop tunes may get people moving.

But, as I said earlier, you are not special. So make yourself special and promote yourself as such.

I am not a professional, however I know how hard it is to break into a market. Other pros here may offer you better advice.

It is hard work marketing. Good luck.

R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, it's like running any other business. If you put out 1000 flyers you MIGHT get one or two inquiries.

In the arts, you have to wear your heart on your sleeve and see a LOT of rejection.

Bars hire the cheapest, best performers that money can buy.

They want guarantees.

If you want to get into the business you need PROMOTION. You need to get your music out there and heard, You need a name and a reputation..

If you are serious, you need a professional agent to hear you and like you.

Without that boost or a miracle, you'll always be Joe Blow who lives around the corner.

You gotta work the social media like a rented mule.

Some people can do it themselves. Some people hire an influencer. Some people just get conned and waste their money.

Whatever the result, shameless self promotion is the key to success in today's media.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you have any demo CDs or are you walking in there cold with a guitar like a hobo Woody Guthrie?

You should at least have a video of a couple of shows you can hand out, either online or or on DVD.

rm5

Reaction score
Do you have any demo CDs or are you walking in there cold with a guitar like a hobo Woody Guthrie?

You should at least have a video of a couple of shows you can hand out, either online or or on DVD.
I have a press kit on my website that includes numerous photos and audio, but no videos. I've been having a lot of trouble figuring out the video part... I just don't know any videographers who are within my price range. I had a photographer come out to one of my performances, but I was not happy with how they came out, the venue was incredibly dark and he had his flash on, so the images just didn't look good.

I've never made any albums either.

rm5

Reaction score
The other reason (which is DEFINITELY a factor) is the fact that I'm in college studying at a conservatory 1500 miles away from my hometown. So it's not like I have particularly easy access to gigs unless I'm home during the summer or the holidays. But even then, what I described in my first post still rings true—I still just haven't had much success. The gigs I do are mostly other people hiring me for them. Like I mentioned, I haven't had much luck getting them on my own...

On another note, LOTS of people have viewed my website (which I can see through the analytics page), but it's proved ineffective in getting any work.

The other thing is, I've also written film scores and edited videos (corporate documentaries mostly). However, I have NO EXAMPLES of such work on my website for one of three reasons:
  1. The project never gets published (not my fault... it's poor communication/lack of motivation on the client's end). I just get terrible clients for film scoring projects mostly. Video projects are a bit better.
  2. I don't get permission to publish client content on my website
  3. The client removes the video off of YouTube or their own website after the event ends (in the case of videos and/or soundtracks I've made for an event).
It's immensely frustrating; essentially, all my work is being thrown away by the client as soon as the project's done.

Thus, no one has any proof of my producing/video production work. I mention it on my website as a "service" I offer, but they have no proof... because no proof exists, for reasons I just described.

EDIT: Here's my site if you want to actually look at it: https://www.rowanmcjimsey.com/

Last edited:

rm5

Reaction score
But I think you're right—I need to become more versatile. Sure, I've done a couple blues/pop/rock gigs in the past, but it's certainly not my main focus. I think if I put more time into pop stuff (outside of school... I'm in the jazz program here), that in time might work out.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or become a regular at every Snarky Puppy concert until you can weasel into the band. :D😎

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just browsed your playlist on Soundcloud.

First who was your accompaniment on the bass numbers?

Secondly, the style of music you're playing is only suitable for retirement homes and airport piano lounges.

I admire your devotion to the fundamentals of the craft, but you have to bring your repertoire out of the 1890s and be a little more uptempo.

And if you're a purist, you'll hate me for this, but you HAVE to electrify at least some of your gear.

Look at Hiromi Uehara who married the old and the new quite successfully in her career,

And either start producing video material exclusively for your portfolio or talk to a lawyer before you sign away any more rights.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)

rm5

Reaction score
I just browsed your playlist on Soundcloud.

First who was your accompaniment on the bass numbers?

Secondly, the style of music you're playing is only suitable for retirement homes and airport piano lounges.

I admire your devotion to the fundamentals of the craft, but you have to bring your repertoire out of the 1890s and be a little more uptempo.

And if you're a purist, you'll hate me for this, but you HAVE to electrify at least some of your gear.

Look at Hiromi Uehara who married the old and the new quite successfully in her career,

And either start producing video material exclusively for your portfolio or talk to a lawyer before you sign away any more rights.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)
No live players--I know, stupid as hell, but these are mainly placeholders for when I DO actually have live players on my demo tracks, which will hopefully be soon. I understand that the demo isn't very good for that reason, but nothing I can do to solve that problem at the moment. I made backing tracks with Band-in-a-box and played over them.

Again, diversifying my repertoire is likely going to lead to more (and better) opportunities.

Reaction score
Where I live the first thing asked is how many people can you bring. My last project was two acoustic guitars backing a male and female vocalist. We had a following of 80 to 90 folks. These folks were eaters and drinkers. One venue wanted us to play every weekend after our first gig there.

My old rock band project played a couple of fund raising shows and during those shows the owner of a local bar hired us and it became our home bar for several years. BTW the fundraisers resulted in cash tips....thank you very much.

Reaction score
Become a regular at he venues you want to work at. Stay after the gigs and talk to the performers and staff. Try to make a some genuine connections. Then you'll have the crucial "foot in the door"...

Reaction score
^^^^^
This...just as with a job search it usually comes down to networking.

In addition when you go to a venue with live music be certain to talk with the owner each time you do. Over time you build relationships. Don't just walk in a say I want you to hire me.

Ask a Question