Yamaha CP-70

Reaction score
Why in Gods name would you want one. They weigh a ton, go out of tune easly,have a distinctive but limited sound and any good digital piano nowadays will give you a nice CP 70 patch. It's a sound i never go to. I used to gig w/ a CP30 back in the 80"s. That was the upright version of the 70. Had to learn how to be a piano tuner and needed two guys to haul on stage. should be able to find one on e bay i'm sure....... good luck

Reaction score
I bought my CP70B about 30 years ago, and I still own it. It weights about 300 pounds , but breaks down into two assemblies for transport. The CP70 has it's own distinctive sound, but it doesn't compare with the digital pianos being offered today.
Yamaha ceased production of the CP70 years ago, so the only option would be to find a used one. Gigging with a CP70 requires a vehicle with room enough for transport, a strong back, someone to assist with moving it, and the ability/tools to tune it on a regular basis.
The CP30 is a different series stage piano (electronic portable), and does not have strings like the CP70. Rather, the CP30 has two output channels which can be stretch tuned (independently tuned) to electronically simulate the sound of piano strings.
I've owned both models, and would recommend any of the newer electronic workstations for live playing situations.
Don

Reaction score
I obviously made a mistake in calling the cp piano I used to play back in the 80's a CP 30. It definitely was not a digital piano. It was an upright version of the CP 70 w/ real sound board and strings w/ pic ups by yamaha. the keybed would fold up in to the piano for transport and it had wheels and handles. it was heavy but not as bad as the 70. If anyone can remember the model # let me know it was a CP something? took it on the road with me and would have to tune every time we got to a new gig. got pretty good at it, but i am glad I don't have to do that anymore. Recently purchased a yamaha S70xs and it has a couple of very nice CP70 patches. Like i said though it's a patch i most never go to.

Reaction score
it was heavy but not as bad as the 70. If anyone can remember the model # let me know it was a CP something? took it on the road with me and would have to tune every time we got to a new gig. .

I can't remember that particular model, but it had to be just as much work as carting around a CP70. But, in those days I also had a B3 with two leslie cabinets, a Solina
string machine, a Moog, Clavinet, and CP70, plus a PA to run the keys through. Back then you had to own a large truck or van to haul all that stuff around.

These days I think a lot smaller and lighter...LOL

Ask a Question