Yamaha MODX-Series

Reaction score
After what I experienced with the Krome,I cannot fathom the appeal of the Krome...at all.The Krome has been on the market since 2012 and Korg NEVER fixed the OS crashing issue that the subpar SD memory chip causes.Such memory cards(particularly the class 10 ones) are so incredibly inexpensive and yet,Korg is so maniacally greedy,they always use the cheapest garbage offered by the very lowest bidder,to construct their sh*t-boxes.Apart from the drum and piano programs,the Krome's soundset is terribly dated,tinny and thin.The Krome has no customer support,no expansion options and the only good & usable feature is the onboard song sequencer(but then,with the Krome being an utter failure as a synth(with Casio-like electronic sounds)...what's the point of utilizing the sequencer?Though the Kronos is still the leading hardware workstation...well...the OS(while functional & reliable)...is still slow,with no flash memory whatsoever,which is why I passed on ever buying one.Anyway....though I am puzzled as to why you like your Krome,I am glad it works for you and yes...I think I will have many years of enjoyment with my MODX7,thanks.:cool:

I hope you and your MODX7 are very happy together.

If you think Korg support is bad I sincerely hope that you do not have to contact Yamaha, keeping my fingers crossed that you do not.

Reaction score
So I have an attitude problem?I bought TWO Krome's and BOTH of the OS's crashed on me.Yes...I could have taken it upon myself,to upgrade the SD card,but modifying the Krome would have voided the warranty.If I had undergone the mod process,that would entail me having to replace all of the data that I would lose to replace the memory card(via downloading the data via cloud storage.)Do you realize that if I had kept my Krome beyond the point of no return and I had modded it and the mod failed,that I would have lost $1,200?So according to your logic,If I were a more creative person,I could magically make the Krome sound like my MODX7 or even like the Korg Kronos?Wow...if I just had an adequate amount of talent,I could have saved hundreds,or even thousands of dollars...oh well.
I had been a Korg owner for 30 years and have owned many Korg workstations and I've only had 2 workstations that were truly inspirational & innovative(which were the Triton EX and the M3.)Korg's strengths,in terms of pro-level sounds,have primarily been with their standalone synths(but most of their workstations were poorly sampled romplers.)
You love your Krome & it has never failed you and it's virtually indestructible..well..that's great...but saying that the Krome can do anything you want it to,is ridiculous.If you were talking about a Kronos,then I would agree with you whole-heartedly.
You seem to imply that my tech issues with the Krome was somehow a matter of operator error(or that the issues I experienced,was an anomaly and that I hastily gave up on the Krome.)Go to the Korg Forums and you will see just how widespread the tech issues are and that it has been going on since 2012 and continues to this day.
Why is it that when any guitar or bass player buys a keyboard,it's the regarded as the most high end instrument imaginable,despite what it is,or what little you paid for it?That's tantamount to me buying a $200 Epiphone or Ibanez and stating that it's master ax,that's capable of anything and has impeccable sound quality(while not giving any thought to the sub-standard neck assembly and piss poor pick ups.)
Everyone has their preferences and favorites and the Krome is clearly adequate for your needs,but let's not make the Krome out to be some pristine-swiss-army-knife dream keyboard,as that is total B.S..

Reaction score
Wrong in your assumption of expectation by guitarists.

Any top quality Fender or Gibson will cost more than the high end Workstation like a Kronos or Montage, throw a custom edition and it will cost more than the stack of keyboard instruments on stage at almost any concert.

As it is my own mid range Gibson guitar cost more than the cost of both my keyboards added together and my Fender Jazz Bass costs the same as your new MODX7.

Reaction score
So I have an attitude problem?..... B.S..
Wow. I just read that entire post and realised it was directed at me.

Not sure what I did to upset you there. You expressed confusion as to why I like my Krome, I answered in good faith based on my honest opinion and a significant amount of “in-field” experience.

You’re equally entitled to not like it. No skin off my nose.

Go well.

Ask a Question