Yamaha P45 MIDI problem: constant "f8" output signal

Reaction score
Hello,

I tried connecting my P45 keyboard via USB to my 64-bit Windows computer with Roland's P45 USB-MIDI driver installed on it. Using a MIDI monitor program, I found that the keyboard was constantly sending an "f8" signal every 20 ms to the computer. It detects keystrokes as well, but it seems worrisome that the keyboard is sending hundreds of signals per second to the computer. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As long as everything is behaving normally I wouldn't worry about the system thrashing caused by a proprietary driver. It's probably considered normal and benign activity.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
As long as everything is behaving normally I wouldn't worry about the system thrashing caused by a proprietary driver. It's probably considered normal and benign activity.

Gary ;)
haha.... well, thanks for the comforting advice, Gary =]

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The "F8" is a normal MIDI signal, so it's nothing to worry about.

But to alleviate your curiosity (which is a very good thing to have), MIDI messages fall into different categories based on the first hexadecimal character of their first byte. Messages that start with "F" are "System messages."

The second hexadecimal character indicates the specific type of message. In this case, the "8" (together with the preceding "F") means that this is a MIDI "Clock message."

MIDI requires precise timing so it knows when to tell a MIDI-enabled device when to do something-- play a note, change sounds, turn some feature on or off, etc. Each MIDI device has an internal clock that "ticks" at regular intervals, like a metronome except you can't hear it.

When you connect one MIDI-enabled device (such as a keyboard) to another MIDI-enabled device (such as a computer running MIDI software), there are settings that let you tell each of the devices whether you want it to listen to and follow the timing of its own internal clock or the ticks coming from an external clock-- that is, from the other device's internal clock.

Those "F8" signals are the ticking of the P-45's internal MIDI clock, which the P-45 is broadcasting over its MIDI connection so any other MIDI-enabled devices can coordinate their actions with the P-45.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Jeez Mike, where was my head at? When I read "F8" I thought he was talking about a Function Key action on his computer keyboard. (DUR ::: :rolleyes:)

Of course. When I read F8 as a hexidecimal number I'm expecting to see F8H.

That missing h is so innocent but oh so corrupting when discussing Hex numbers instead of mundane Windoze issues. :p

No, that F8H or or 127 decimal is nothing more than a timing placeholder in the MIDI data stream.

Basically you're just watching the clock run out. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question