Yamaha P45 usb midi connectivity issue

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some issues with connecting my Yamaha P45 to my mac and I wanted to know if you guys could help me.

I just want to say first that I am a beginner at all of this. I first bought a midi keyboard that I used for a year, got tired of it and I wanted a standalone piano that I could also use with my computer connected via the USB to Host connection (my previous keyboard was connected to my mac the same way). I tried to connect the P45 by downloading the yamaha usb midi driver on my mac, but the driver simply doesn't show up in my audio midi setup app even though it is correctly downloaded.

Is there a way to connect the Yamaha P45 to my computer? Am I missing something or do I have to do something else when the driver is downloaded?
I use a MacBook Pro mid 2015 running Monterey.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Connect everything then start iMac and once booted start P45.

Look in MIDI Studio to see if it is there.

If not follow the guidelines in this article.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only driver I see on the P-45 downloads is for Windows.

It's possible that the P-45 doesn't require a driver when used with a Mac, but that may or may not be the case.

Make sure the USB cable is no longer than 3 meters, as mentioned in the manual.

The manual doesn't indicate what version of USB cable is acceptable, but some Yamaha keyboards require the use of a USB version 2.x cable or lower.

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you all for your answers.

The problem was in the USB cable’s length. I tried another one, but shorter and the keyboard was automatically detected by my computer.

Merry christmas!

Ask a Question