Yamaha YFP-70 static

Reaction score
Just picked up a YFP-70 keyboard and it has a good piano sound but when it's first turned on it has a loud static sound even with volume in off position. If the reverb is turned completely off the static will stop and then it plays correctly. Sometimes it will play correctly with the reverb turned on but that is seldom. Are the service manuals worth buying? I see that there is a service manual available that has about 27 pages but I'm not sure if that's the right number of pages, i saw on one site that the service manual is over 100 pages. Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Before you crack anything open pick up a can of electronic contact cleaner, remove the knobs, and squirt a bit into each pot and then twist it back and forth a dozen times or so.

That may be all it takes to fix the problem.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Before you crack anything open pick up a can of electronic contact cleaner, remove the knobs, and squirt a bit into each pot and then twist it back and forth a dozen times or so.

That may be all it takes to fix the problem.

Gary ;)

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the cleaner and maybe that will fix it!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Owner's Manual has 27 pages. If you need it, it's here:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/result/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&search=YFP

I'm not coming up with anything on the ElektroTanya.com site, but there was an old eBay listing for it that said it's 27 pages long, and the photo of the cover page (specifically, the Contents) seems to be in line with that:

upload_2017-2-2_22-48-57.png

Reaction score
The problem goes away when the reverb is turned off and it is controlled by a push button, can the contacts in this be the problem? If so should i be able to spray cleaner into it from the outside? Thanks

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
By the way, I found some sites (or possibly the same site with multiple URLs) that would supposedly let you download the Service Manual after registering, and it/they said it was nearly 500 pages, but they are clearly bogus sites and you should definitely not try to download anything from them, as you'll probably just infect your computer or turn it into a zombie or whatever.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The problem goes away when the reverb is turned off and it is controlled by a push button, can the contacts in this be the problem? If so should i be able to spray cleaner into it from the outside? Thanks

I hope you're asking Gary that question, because I couldn't service my way out of a wet paper bag. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The spray cleaner Might or Might Not work. It's a 50/50 shot at this point but is the easiest way to approach this at the beginning.

It may or may not fix the problem but either way it won't cause any further harm.

Worst case scenario it doesn't work then you'd have to crack it open, try applying contact cleaner internally, and if it still was noisy start tracing circuits and replacing components.

For the time being though, you have nothing to lose squirting in some contact cleaner and everything to gain.

It's your call...

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if the reverb button is a soft touch rubber membrane switch don't waste any contact cleaner on it. It won't work.

The pots on the other hand, are electromechanical devices which are subject to resistance noise when age sets in and they accumulate dust and grime.

That's where you should focus your initial efforts.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW, if the reverb button is a soft touch rubber membrane switch don't waste any contact cleaner on it. It won't work.

The pots on the other hand, are electromechanical devices which are subject to resistance noise when age sets in and they accumulate dust and grime.

That's where you should focus your initial efforts.

Gary ;)

The buttons are a hard plastic that you press and I haven't opened it up yet to know what type of switches it has! I guess I'll need to open it up to see if i can spray the switches with contact cleaner! Is the problem sounding like dirty contacts? Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chances are it is NOT the switches making the noise.

It's the POTS pure and simple.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Chances are it is NOT the switches making the noise.

It's the POTS pure and simple.

Gary ;)

Am I understanding that it's most likely not the push button reverb buttons. The only pot switches it has are 3 volume slide switches. Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Correct, the pots, be they sliders or rotary have a metal wiper sliding against a carbon resistor surface.

Oil and crud buildup on these contact points causes the type of noise you described.

While it is conceivable that you can also get contact resistance noise on a switch contact it is far more rare and unlikely.

And finally, until an attempt has been made to clean the sliders by squirting contact cleaner into the slots, working the controls a couple dozen times and then letting them properly dry out I cannot categorically state exactly what the problem might be should this procedure not work for you.

At that point, if noise persists, the board will have to be opened up and properly tested.

Here's a couple youtube videos on cleaning noisy pots.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cleaning+noisy+pots

Watch those and you'll get an idea of what this entails.

A proper cleaning would involve cracking it open and squirting cleaner into the mechanism from the rear but sometimes you can get away with a quick and simple fix by simply squirting it into the top of the pot.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question