1 Roland e28

soon
Roland fp7
Clavia nord electro stage 88
Kurzweil 2500xs (dreamer)
Roland ax7

Reaction score
The boards of my life

I started playing when I was 5 years old. My parents bought a Baldwin upright piano and I played constantly. It was a love affair. Lessons got in the way of my personal discovery with the piano. I played that until I was about 14 years old, when we traded in the Baldwin for a digital...

Roland KR-575. I got a good four or five years of use out of that, when I auditioned for the U.S. Navy Band. When I moved from home when I was 18, the piano stayed. I never play it anymore and I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist.

Just a few years ago, I was introduced to the power of the Hammond Organ. My obsession was immediate. I now have a Hammond A102 with a Leslie 45. The A102 of course is the same as the B3, except for internal speakers, reverb, and a different cabinet. Leslie 45 is a single-speed Leslie. I am now attempting to acquire a chopped B3 because if I can't start gigging with a real Hammond, I will drive myself crazy. I played for a while with the KORG CX-3 and was impressed...in my opinion, the best clonewheel. Has anyone really enjoyed the action on the Hammond XK series? I thought it was terrible....like playing in concrete.

My lust for vintage gear didnt stop with Hammonds. I turned to Fender Rhodes. I have a Mark 2 eighty-eight and a seventy-three studio piano. The mark 2 is near mint. The studio piano was painted black from its original color, avocado green. Hahahaha. Yeah baby.

I'm also always checking for a great deal on an upright on craigslist, now that I have the room for all these pianos.

The final pieces of gear I'll look at are the DSI Prophet 08 and the Moog Voyager 0S. I'm also interested in the new GX line of Roland stage pianos.

Reaction score
This is kind of a cool post, it's fun going down memory lane.

1903 Weber piano - with metal tacks stuck in the hammers (my first experiement when I was 11)
- Roland SH-5
- Fender Rhodes Suitcase EP
- Yamaha SK30
- Korg Poly 800 (that was the bomb back then)
- Korg EPS-1
- Ensoniq ESQ1
- Oberheim OBX-a (I constantly had to get this old pig repaired because the tuning would drift)
- Yamaha DX-7
- Roland D50
- Roland JX-8P
- Korg M1

That's about it. You know what sucked back then? Everything cost 2 grand!
I've been out of the loop for 20+ years, but I heard now you can get some really awesome gear for under $1,000.

Reaction score
Ah, My Keyboards, Past and Present

Reading about the thumbtacks on the acoustic piano makes me remember how much my Mom screamed at me for doing it. It sounded great, though! I still have that old piano, the first one I learned on.

Well, I had a really old electronic keyboard around 1974 that was supposedly used by The Byrds. It had only three voices, as I recall, piano, clavichord, and one other I don't remember which. It had a volume pot, and three colored toggles for the voices (white, purple and teal). I got rid of it around 1978, when I made my first trip to Guitar Center in Hollyweird.

Here's my list of past keyboard equipment, starting with the items I no longer own:

• Crumar Orchestrator (great for emulating Led Zep's "All of My Love")
  • Arp Axxe, with Arp Little Brother expander module (I used this for everything from the jet in "Back in the USSR" to the synth in "Baba O-Riley")
  • Fender Rhodes 73 suitcase (barely fit in my `68 VW Bug)
  • Hammond C-3 (what fun to move for gigs, with Leslie! traded for the Yamaha YC-30)
  • Yamaha YC-30 organ (with that really cool portamento "zip strip")
Then more in 1989 (still have all of everything below):

• Roland A-80 MIDI keyboard controller (still have it and love it)
  • Roland LAPC-I full-sized ISA card (Wow, computers and FM synthesis!)
  • Roland MPC-1 interface box (CM-32P connection)
  • Roland CM-32P PCM sound module (with U-110 card slot)
  • Roland CS-10 stereo micro monitor (sat under the monitor)
...and still more recently added:

• Roland A-80 MIDI keyboard controller (Yeah another one. Hey, I have to have a back-up!)
  • M-Audio 88-es Keystation MIDI keyboard controller (lighter action for organs, synths, etc.)
  • Roland U-110 PCM sound module (four U-110 card slots)
  • Roland U-220 RS PCM sound module (two U-110 card slots)
  • Roland Fantom XR (what a great device, especially loaded with 6 SRXs!)
  • E-Mu E-5000 Ultra sound module (pretty cool vintage capabilities)
Plus a whole slew of other home studio equipment, recording, DAT, etc.

Hey, this was fun! If anyone can recall what the name of that first keyboard I owned, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.:confused: Too much happened between then and now, and I think I lost those brain cells that remember what it was.

:cool:

Reaction score
I had to think about this as I mostly played sax, or guitar
in my earlier years. But I remember that my first keyboard was
a Farfsa Fast 3 organ. After that some of my personal other keyboards
through the years have included (not necessarily in chronological order)
Halifax Duo organ
Hammond BC organ
Hammond M100, Univox Elec Piano
Hammond B3 , Rhodes 73, Arp Strings, Moog Satellite
Yamaha CP30 elec piano, Moog Rogue, ARP Omni
Yamaha CP70 Piano, Korg CX3, Moog Opus 3 ,
Yamaha SY55, DX7
Ensoniq Mirage, ESQ1, SQ80, KT88
E-mu Emulator lV, E-mu Esynth

For me, the B3 was the most inspirational to my playing. These days
I use NI B4ll.

I've never owned a Casio though.

Reaction score
re

Played piano until I moved outta home at 18. Then got myself a Yamaha PSR 630. After I finished college and got a job, I bought a GEM Pro1 and a Peavey KBA300. Many years of gigging later and I got sick of lugging 2 boards around, especially the Pro1 (f***ing thing weighs a ton!). So I compromised and bought a Yamaha DGX 505, which for me is an ok all-rounder. When my ship comes in(;)) I'm gonna get me one of those S90 ES machines. Heard great reports about them.

Reaction score
Hmmmm....let's see, I started taking lessons when I was 6 on WURLITZER Console Piano. My first electronic board was a "MAGNUS ORGAN" Starting to show my age...lol

Then came WURLITZUR ELECTRIC Piano my Dad bought from a guy going overseas. Then I got a CRUMAR ORCHESTRATOR, By the time I got my first Rock GIG I had added an ARP SOLIS....lolz, it was sweet back then :)

I laid off for a few years then got back into it again and was using KORG POLY-800 and AKAI AX-80 as my rig :)

The only Casio I ever owned was a SK-1, I think that's what it was. That tiny keyboard with the sampler in it?
Joined the Military for awhile, when I got out started playing again my rig was now KORG X3, YAMAHAs PSR-410, DX-21, and TX81Z.

Was in an auto accident and out again for a couple of years. Now I'm back with my current gear: KORG KARMA, ROLAND FANTOM X6, YAMAHA MOTIF ES6 for live shows :)

I know there are more keys listed in my intro page but those are being used in the Home Studio and it doesn't hurt to have a couple of bavckups anyways...lolz

Reaction score
Started playing when I was 5 on an old upright by Nordheimer. I played a Roland XP-50 a fair bit in high school since that's what my church had. The first keyboard I bought was an M-Audio Axiom 61 controller to use with various software instruments, mostly Native Instruments stuff like the B4-II and Kontakt for piano and ep sounds. I started using my laptop and a controller for playing at church last year, and quickly got sick of lugging everything around, not to mention that moving my laptop around so much weakened the support for the screen. In the meantime, I'd also bought an M-Audio KeyStation 88es so that I could do two-manual organ playing properly.

A few months ago, I sold the Axiom and some other gear, plus used a bonus at work to get a Nord Stage 73 (the semi-weighted version). It's fantastic for organ and ep sounds especially, and the hands-on control and ease of use is really nice.

If I can manage it, I'm looking at selling more of my software plus my old saxophone which hasn't gotten any use in years to put the cash towards a Korg M3 or M50.

Ask a Question