beginner keyboard/synt?

Reaction score
Hello all,

For a while i've been looking for a keyboard, which i want to use to make some nice 'heavy' beats with. I was in doubt if i should get a MIDI controller or a Synth, but from what i've read a synthesizer fits my wishlist better since i can create sounds with the device itself rather than having to use files on the pc (did i understand this correct?).

Could anyone tell me what to pay attention to when i (a starter) go buy a synth? Do you have any recommendations what to get?

Kind regards

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What's your budget? What's your skill level? Are you planning to use this on the road or only in the studio?

Reaction score
i am a beginner, this will be my first keyboard/syntesizer, therefore i would like to start with something not so expensive (maximum 350 dollar). i mainly want to make simple beats. i want to use this at home, but i prefer placing it on my desk and not on a standard to begin with.

hope that's enough info :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you shop around for close to the $400 mark you could pick up something like the Casio XW-P1 or the Microkorg or a Novation MiniNova or an M-Audio Venom.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-XWP1-Ke...?ie=UTF8&qid=1371060671&sr=8-1&keywords=xw-p1

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Venom...e-Interface/dp/B004J96JTO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1

http://www.amazon.com/Novation-Mini...=1371060875&sr=1-1&keywords=novation+mininova

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-microKor...UTF8&qid=1371060921&sr=1-1&keywords=microkorg

Check out the reviews of each of these on Google and Youtube to get a better idea on which one has the best features you want.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just for disclosure's sake, I currently own an XW-P1 and a Venom and sold off a Microkorg XL to pay for the XW-P1.

Out of the bunch, I have to say the XW-P1 offers the best bang for the buck. The venom is OK as long as you use a different keyboard as a controller but on its own it has a tendency to drop notes like nobody's business. Then again I picked up my venom for under $200 last year when they were clearing them out before they recontinued the line.

I don't have any personal experience with the Novation so I can't say anything good or bad about it either way.

Reaction score
ah good feedback, do you know what the continued line for the venom is and if its any good? i looked it up at some stores and its out of stock everywhere i have checked so far (and i dislike ebay). i will check out the xw-p1!

thanks a lot

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
M-Audio got sold to Akai last fall so they originally planned to discontinue the Venom entirely. However, here we are 8 months later and I'm still seeing venoms listed on M-Audio's website and for sale on sites like Amazon so I can only guess at whether or not it's still an official product.

As for the XW-P1, they carry them at Guitar Center so you can probably check one out locally and I think they'll match the best price you can find for it on the web.

I have to say I get more use out of the XW-P1 than I usually do from the Venom, but then again they are both very unique sounding instruments and having the two compliments each other nicely.

Also the Venom is very dependent on using the PC based editor to control and shape the sounds. The Casio also somewhat so, but the Venom is much more dependent on software than the Casio.

Reaction score
aha i think i prefer the casio in that case. i will check it out! thanks a lot for your help so far

Ask a Question