Keyboards and Hot environments

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick question, I have my set up (Yamaha Montage, monitors, sub, etc in my sunroom. I live in Phoenix AZ, we have had an early "hot spell" and I don't currently have air-con in the sunroom. All the windows near to the board have been covered up with insolation sheets so there is no direct sunlight near the keyboard and it is cover up when not in use. In the hight of the summer, it can get as hot as 85 - 90 in the sunroom. Do you think I should be worried about it or do you think it will be ok?

Many thanks and stay safe!

Chris

Reaction score
85-90 not indirect sunlight, no problem. my two cents. i actually asked this to Kurzweil when I purchased my PC3. i wanted to understand the extremes both cold and hot. i'm about positive that you are in the tolerance of the range they reported. Others will tell you differently, personally that range without direct sunlightd I wouldnt worry about.

P.S., who in their right mind would live in Phoenix and not have A/C ????

Reaction score
85-90 not indirect sunlight, no problem. my two cents. i actually asked this to Kurzweil when I purchased my PC3. i wanted to understand the extremes both cold and hot. i'm about positive that you are in the tolerance of the range they reported. Others will tell you differently, personally that range without direct sunlightd I wouldnt worry about.

P.S., who in their right mind would live in Phoenix and not have A/C ????

Thank you for the response Dave I appreciate it!... Ooh We have AC in the house just not in that room. Your right, it can be brutal!

Reaction score
I agree Chris - I think you'll be fine, provided you don't have direct sunlight on your 'board. It gets hotter than that where I live and my keyboards are also stored in a non-airconditioned room, under cover. Never had an issue.

Reaction score
Rather than temperature I would be more concerned about degradation occuring to the plastic components of your kit due to UV.

Do ensure that your covers are of a material than will offer UV shielding.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If I might make a suggestion for when you are playing in 90 degree heat.

Put a fan in your solarium and circulate cool air from the house while the unit is turned on.

At 85 to 90F ambient the internal chips are getting HOT. Flaky behaviour ensues and could lead to a burnt transistor or IC. Internal temperatures could reach 160 F which is pretty much the safe limit for a silicon IC.

At least keeping the air circulating will ameliorate a touchy situation.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you Gary!, I dont use it during the day, mostly evenings when its cooler. Does the same thing apply with the monitor speakers? I was thinking it I could cover everything rather than just the board?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The more cool air you can throw at anything electronic will make it run better.

Just try and keep the solarium temp down to 80 F max.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Bloody hell! A bloke from Canada and a bloke from Lancashire advising someone from Arizona on hot weather. Next they’ll be teaching him how to cook a prickly pear....hehe.

No joke Paul. We get our fair share of 35 C days here in Toronto every summer man. I've seen equipment die in 85 F heat and paid the price at least once or twice myself.

Adding ventilation to your rig in those circumstances just makes good sense.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, just because they rate a keyboard at a certain MAX TEMP doesn't mean it's a good idea to push the envelope at all. :p

Those numbers are based on averages and a sub spec unit will die much quicker than you expect.

There are lies, damn lies and specifications :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Bloody hell! A bloke from Canada and a bloke from Lancashire advising someone from Arizona on hot weather.

Next they’ll be teaching him how to cook a prickly pear....hehe.

First
You visit the DIY Superstore and buy the heaviest pair of leather gloves they have plus a blowtorch

Recipe
At home you put on the heavy pair of leather gloves and light the blowtorch.

You then take the Prickly Pears and burn off the spines and hairs, just enough to dull their sharpness.

Then with a really sharp knife you cut off either end of each Prickly Pear

Then score cut each prickly pear lengthways with the really sharp knife

Then you carefully make incisions from the score cut under the hard rind and work in carefully you remove all the rind so you just have the soft inner flesh left

Now you go to the barbie and put it maximum heat

Once at max temperature put a deep fry pan on the barbie, add a carton of orange juice, and add a bottle of top quality Brandy to the pan and when it is bubbling add the prepared Prickly Pears

Let the content reduce to a mush and take off the barbie to allow to cool

Blitz the pan contents to a smooth consistency

Now you can add the liquidised content to poncie glasses with crushed ice, add a sprig of mint, one of those paper cocktail umbrellas and a skewer which is threaded through a live Widgetty Grub.

Then you serve it as a drink that only real Aussie Blokes have the stomach for.

Enjoy

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had a look at the owners manual and it basically says that it shouldn't be in excessive heat or direct sunlight. I don't think mine is in either. I wish I had space in the house to put it. This is the trouble with having a board with Monitors it does take up space. I have a large Roland organ in the house (in the main living room) The wife says it looks nice as it is in a smart wooden cabinet. The White Montage with all those leads and looks really cool but just not "within keeping" Time to build an extension onto the house lol.

Ask a Question