Midi

Reaction score
Can I use my casio ctk601 as a midi controller.? I'm using ample sound guitar and studio one 5. Does it just hook up through my audio interface?

Reaction score
Welcome.

We cannot specifically answer your query about audio interface without details of the make and model number that you have. Not all audio interface units have the correct socket connections fitted to them.

As for MIDI connections if you look on the rear of your keyboard you should see either one or two MIDI sockets, additionally there maybe a USB host socket (the manual I looked at did not show one on the diagrams) and if there is can you confirm either way. Please confirm what is on the rear panel, an image posted will help if you are unsure of what you see.

To use the MIDI connections you will need either an adaptor cable or an interface unit such as a Behringer UMC204HD.

Using an adaptor cable will require a Diver is installed so do check that one is available and compatible with the version of Windows/MAC OS that you are using.

Reaction score
take 15 minutes of your time and read this.

MIDI 101 by TweakHeadz Lab
The difference between MIDI and Audio is explained along with many other "core" concepts for building a home recording studio
www.tweakheadz.com

It does a very good job of explaining basic MIDI and how MIDI works. Terms that you need to understand what they mean and how they work:

* - midi channel
* - midi out
* - midi in
* - midi thru
* - midi merge

If you understand the above you will most likely to be able to answer your own questions.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Dave, it is a very good article written in such a manner that even my old degrading brain could understand.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Can I use my casio ctk601 as a midi controller.? I'm using ample sound guitar and studio one 5. Does it just hook up through my audio interface?

According to page E-7 of the User's Guide, the CTK-601 has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports, so it should be able to act as a MIDI keyboard controller.

As long as your audio interface has MIDI ports, you can connect a MIDI cable from the keyboard's MIDI OUT to the interface's MIDI IN, and-- if you also want to be able to sequence MIDI data from Studio One to the keyboard-- you can connect another MIDI cable from the interface's MIDI OUT to the keyboard's MIDI IN. See the picture on page E-42 of the User's Guide, but replace the MIDI sequencer with a MIDI audio interface.

To use the keyboard as a controller, you'll probably want to turn off its Local Control; see page E-45. To set the keyboard's transmit channel, see page E-44.

You'll need to add one or two external devices for the keyboard in Studio One. I don't have Studio One installed on my new computer, but if I remember correctly you add a "new keyboard" if you want to send MIDI data from the keyboard to Studio One, and you add a "new instrument" if you want to send MIDI data from Studio One to the keyboard. If you want to do both, then you'll need to add the keyboard as both types of external devices.

Ask a Question