Music softwares

Reaction score
Hey there,
I'm completely new to the computer-keyboard connection stuff, so I've got a few questions:

- I've seen players programming their computer to use some waky features on their keyboard. What softwares should I use?
- Which noting software is the most recommended one?
- Should I use any specific software with a specific rig? (For instence, I've got the Yamaha PSR-S900).

Thank you very much :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Basically there's three types of software that can be used on a computer with a MIDI keyboard. There's Sequencers, Patch Librarians and Soft Synths. Four if you count Audio Recording Software.

Anyway, to further blur the lines, you can get combinations of two, three or all four types of softwares in single standalone programs and program suites depending on what OS you are using on your computer and how much you are willing to spend on software.

So my advice is to google some of the terms I listed here and do a little research on different programs and then post back here when you are better able to articulate exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Explaining all this stuff here in this thread would be like reinventing the wheel ;)

Gary

Reaction score
Basically there's three types of software that can be used on a computer with a MIDI keyboard. There's Sequencers, Patch Librarians and Soft Synths. Four if you count Audio Recording Software.

Anyway, to further blur the lines, you can get combinations of two, three or all four types of softwares in single standalone programs and program suites depending on what OS you are using on your computer and how much you are willing to spend on software.

So my advice is to google some of the terms I listed here and do a little research on different programs and then post back here when you are better able to articulate exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Explaining all this stuff here in this thread would be like reinventing the wheel ;)

Gary

Thanks, I will do some research :)

Reaction score
I'm with Gary on this. :eek:

There might be something specific to your keyboard that would give you easier access to specific features, so do look for that; but there are so many choices out there. I would rather spend my money on instruments (keyboards and modules) than software, so I use Anvil Studio as my basic MIDI 'composer' and Multitrack Studio for all the 'post-production' work (with audio files). BOTH of these are FREE downloads, with available upgrades at very reasonable cost.

Cheers, and welcome to the zoo. :cool:

Reaction score
I'm with Gary on this. :eek:

There might be something specific to your keyboard that would give you easier access to specific features, so do look for that; but there are so many choices out there. I would rather spend my money on instruments (keyboards and modules) than software, so I use Anvil Studio as my basic MIDI 'composer' and Multitrack Studio for all the 'post-production' work (with audio files). BOTH of these are FREE downloads, with available upgrades at very reasonable cost.

Cheers, and welcome to the zoo. :cool:

Thank you Ron :)

Ask a Question