Roland GPX-F1 "Facet" Grand Piano

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you watched the 2020 Grammy's, but there was a performance with H.E.R. playing a Roland digital piano that was fascinating. I did a little digging on the Internet, and it is apparently a GPX-F1. It is structured like the outline of a piano with a base (that holds the main speakers), a floating, faceted frame shaped like the angular footprint of a traditional piano, and what looks like a pretty conventional lid. It's wicked looking, and leaves quite an impression.

I was curious if the structure of this instrument actually does anything, or is just all eye candy.

First off, this instrument is something of a prototype, introduced this year, and not intended for production. Sorry all. The Roland website says a lot more more about the origins and development of the Facet, so I am going to limit my comments to what interests me.

Roland claims that the structure of the Facet does contribute to its sound quality as a performance instrument. The lid reflecting sound to the audience makes sense, but I noticed at the Grammy's that the lid was facing the background dancers. Hmmmm.

The website goes on to say that the facetted, floating ring is also structured to contribute to the resonance of the instrument. Believable, and while I know something about acoustics as an architect, I suspect that whatever makes the whole structure contribute, if indeed it does, is way over my head.

Anyway, this is just a general alert about a fascinating new digital piano out there. If anyone knows anything technically about this instrument that isn't on the Roland website, I'm sure we would all find it interesting. - Greg

Reaction score
I guess it's analogous to a concept car.

Roland claims that the structure of the Facet does contribute to its sound quality as a performance instrument. The lid reflecting sound to the audience makes sense, but I noticed at the Grammy's that the lid was facing the background dancers. Hmmmm.
The shape of the piano may or may not interact favourably with the inbuilt speakers, but I'm assuming it would have been DI'd to FOH for this performance, rendering its form irrelevant from a sonic perspective.

Ask a Question