Yamaha C7 grand for Korg M3/Motif ES/XS

Reaction score
I hate spammers and bots that come here and post links on other products but I got to share this one.

Since I've been getting into recording stuff I write - which are piano instrumentals - I really kept searching for the perfect piano for my recordings.

I just love my CP33 when it comes to live performing - but it misses some richness of a real Grand in overall sound when recorded solo.

I also have the M3 which has pianos far from what i want... If you ever spent time listening
to real piano recordings you will hear noises that are not there when you play the piano
on the keyboards - ANY keyboard that is.

Noises like damper on, damper off, key off, resonance etc... Newer keyboards have resonance
emulation and key off samples but those are mostly made from pulling the same piano sample through some effect.
And 90% of "Key off" samples on the M3 are made with bells/mallet samples through a filter so it sounds "clonky" as a key-off getting off the string.

Anyway... Recently I came along a brilliant library of sampled Yamaha C7 grand
with all stuff mentioned above. You can actually hear every single tiny noise the piano makes while you play.

It really makes no sense using it for live performance since there's no way such quiet noises can get through the
mix - but you can't get anything better for solo recordings (well, apart from the fact they sound friggin awesome :D).

The price is... well... fair. Not cheap - but still way cheaper then piano VSTs.

If anyone here has the M3 or a motif ES/XS - you will be able to load these samples
into your keyboard. The sample library is little less then 300mb, comes from K-Sounds and you can find
their shop on the link below.

If the price is a bit too much for you - there's a great sample library of a Kawai grand
originally for the Triton series but I have a reprogrammed PCG for the M3 that you
won't be able to find on the K-sounds Website.

Those samples cost less than the Yamaha C7 ones but still sound very good!

If you need any help or extra demos feel free to poke me. I have all M3 libraries
from Ksounds - including the organimation which is insanely good.

Demo:
http://www.box.net/shared/a6opz54ivo

Website Link:
http://ksounds.com

Reaction score
Sounds quite awesome indeed! I suppose however that they don't work with the M50 since it samples? :( The M3 did get some better Piano sounds through the M3 Expanded (I think?), while the M50 has not, so it would be nice with some M50 Piano sounds too ^^

Reaction score
Yea... M50 is not a sampler and it's basically just the factory ROM from the M3 with OS 1.x

Apart from tweaking the sounds that are already in there - you can't load new samples

Reaction score
But there is still a change to get some updated waveforms through OS updates, I hope?

Reaction score
Yeah....really pristine,impeccably authentic samples such as piano & electric guitars(especially),can only be found on software.

However though,I think the Motif XF might change that,by having factory presets with this level of sample quality(I'm very doubtful of there being good e.guitars though),but then that is what the enormous sample RAM is for.:p

I think $115 is a very fair price...I mean,having the ability to use these sounds in a hardware keyboard is worth the price of admission.

In fact,if there are equally good e.guitar sounds available for the XF,I would be very happy to pay around the same price.

Of course,what are good piano sounds with a decent key-bed to play them on?I mean...I am really concerned about the action of the Motif XF6...there not advertising as the XF6 as having semi-weighted action,so I'm assuming that it's synth action.

This would be really pathetic actually,as the Kurzweil PC3LE6 has semi-weighted action and this keyboard is only $1295-$1495(depending on where you buy one).

Excuse my rambling,as I am just really excited over the Motif XF!:D

-Elwood

Reaction score
Yamaha's flagships always came in 61/76 synth action keys and 88 balanced hammer (weighted not graded) keys.

I doubt the XF will change the tradition :)

Reaction score
Signature Piano by Ksounds

I just gave this a listen and am very impressed. I currently have Ksounds Piano 1 (Steinway) for my Motif ES and always wanted more realistic resonance and keyboard samples, not to mention more velocity layers. I have an M3-73 now as well and I think this Signature piano will be perfect for the M3.

Thanks for bringing this fine piano library to light on the forum!!

Reaction score
Isn't the Piano 1 from Ksounds a Kawai grand? I have that same library for the M3...
Or is the Piano 1/2 for Korg keyboards that's a Kawai sampled piano, and not the Yamaha? Oh well... doesn't matter anyway :)

Reaction score
Skipp,

The Piano 1 is a Steinway, the Piano 2 is a Kawai.

If you have these libraries, have you had the chance to compare them to the newer Yamaha C7 library?

Reaction score
Oh right! I have the Piano 2 and the C7 library.

The C7 sounds much - MUCH richer then the Kawai samples. Plus, the resonance samples, the key noises and the pedal noises are just a brilliant add-on.

But I have to notice one thing... Kawai samples have a wider range of dynamics.
The C7 has 6 layers (on the M3) and the transition is very smooth, but it could use a bit of tweaking cause it kinda plays the mid-range samples on a much lighter press compared to the Kawai samples.

While I have the Kawai samples loaded, I can actually press the key gently and not get a sound at all - I can't do that on the C7 samples - it plays one of the lowest sample instead.

That "problem" is easily solved with turning the velocity curve to the one that suits your playstile. I keep mine at no.9. all the time.

P.S. I recorded some stuff using the C7 grand and I'll upload it to Youtube, so check this post later :)

Reaction score
Skipp,

VERRRRRRY NICE.......!!!!!!!

So this was the C7 Yamaha from Ksounds on the M3 and played on your Yamaha controller? From your posts I gather you have a M3-61, yes?

Is this a stock sample from the library? If so which one?

THANK YOU very much for the video, it speaks VOLUMES !!

Reaction score
Yup. I use my CP33 piano for live gigs because it fits perfect in my band and it comes out brilliantly disregarding the dynamic level being played - it always sounds great.

And yes, that's the M3-61. Since i spend 90% of my gig on the CP33, i don't need more then 61 keys for the rest of the stuff :)

There are several presets in the C7 library... The biggest difference you can hear
are dependable on which library you load (there are several sample size libraries).

If you don't want the pedal noise or resonant noises - load the smaller one
You loose the extra samples but you gain on polyphony - and you gain a lot.
The full piano has 9-10 programs in a combi (not sure though but i think it's around 9)
so basically you have 6-9 notes of polyphony being played on a single key.
Now press sustain, start playing long passages and count up :D

But that's the problem with every major combi.

The one in the video is the biggest one with every layer turned on and it has around 300ish Mb.

There are several variations in the sample library... You get the usual... Concert grand, bright grand, rock grand... piano/string splits and layers, bass/piano splits, epiano/grand layers etc...

Reaction score
Thanks again for the video, I'll remember about the velocity curve #9 for dynamics on the M3. Looking forward to getting this piano. I've gotta get the EXB-256 first obviously.....

Know anybody selling the EXB-256 less than $150.00 ?? That's what it seems the going price is.

Reaction score
Ksounds C7 piano library

Skipp,

Help me understand, if the EXB-256m expands the M3 user memory to 256KB, how can you load a 300+KB piano library such as the C7 grand? Also, if this IS possible, would you be able to load organimation AND the C7 library with the EXB-256 or just one at a time??

Reaction score
Skipp,

Help me understand, if the EXB-256m expands the M3 user memory to 256KB, how can you load a 300+KB piano library such as the C7 grand? Also, if this IS possible, would you be able to load organimation AND the C7 library with the EXB-256 or just one at a time??

Simple - M3 comes with 64Mb of RAM when you buy it... When you insert the additional 256Mb you get 320Mb total.

There are several sizes of the C7 grand - depending which samples you want and how long the samples are... That way you can load the 100ish Mb version or the 200ish mb version or the full 290mb version.

That way you can decide how much RAM you want to keep free for the rest of your samples.

Reaction score
If the price is a bit too much for you - there's a great sample library of a Kawai grand
originally for the Triton series but I have a reprogrammed PCG for the M3 that you
won't be able to find on the K-sounds Website.
hi i am interested on those samples how much are they and how o were can i download those kawai for my m3

Ask a Question