Yamaha P-80 plays as if the pedal is pressed down

Reaction score
I got this used Yamaha P-80 electronic piano from my girlfriend to learn piano. She used it lightly, put it away in storage and hasn't been used since. I put it all together and noticed after each key there's a trailing sound after each key – even when the pedal isn't plugged in. I turned off the reverb on the piano itself and it still won't go away. Is my piano broken or is there a hidden trick to solve it?

Thanks!!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I would start by doing the "Factory Preset Recall" procedure described on page 38 of the Owner's Manual.

If that doesn't help, you can download a copy of the Service Manual from http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_p-80_sm.pdf/download.html. Below the image of the title page is a line of text that says "This file is downloadable free of charge"-- wait patiently for several seconds until it says "Get Manual," then click on that link to download the manual. On page 16 of the Service Manual are instructions on how to power up the P-80 in a test mode. You can run all of the ROM and RAM tests, but I think the test you'll be most interested in is test number 31-- "Check that the C3 note sounds when pushing the pedal and that the C4 note sounds when releasing the pedal; the 7-seg. LED should display the test results."

Note that you must never plug in or unplug the pedal while the keyboard is turned on-- always turn the keyboard off before you plug in or unplug the pedal.

Reaction score
I have a dumb question--did you turn the keyboard off and back on? If your keyboard has a 'pedal detect' function and you turn it on with the wrong kind of pedal (or with the pedal depressed) the sustain might be on all the time and wouldn't reset until repowering the keyboard.

Reaction score
I should mention that 'polarity'in the article is the wrong term here--the difference is I believe between a 'normal open' and a 'normal closed' switch. This probably sounds like nit-picking, but I'm trying to save someone the trouble of reversing the 'polarity' and discovering it doesn't do anything (okay, I did it once). These switches don't have any polarity.

Ask a Question