Help with *old* 01 w pro x

Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I am the worship leader at our church, and we inherited a Korg 01 w pro x. We use it in a rehearsal hall, not for live services. It has a great feel to it, but it sounds "out of tune". Being a singer, and not a keyboard player, I'm not certain how an electronic keyboard gets out of tune. Is this possible? How can I fix this? I have looked all over the net and downloaded a manual, but its like reading chinese to me!! I'm not interested in patches or sequencing. All I want is to use an authentic piano sound to rehearse my singers. Help!!!

Reaction score
I've replied to your mail but here's a C/P anyway

First of all there is NO way a digital instrument can be out of tune, but there is a way of "tuning" it to another frequency.
If you search around global settings (i think it's called that way on korg) you will find the major tune frequency that has to be set on 440Hz.
(some US standards are 442Hz though) If it's lower or higher you may think the piano (or any other sound) is out of tune :)

Since that Korg is a bit outdated, and you want a great piano feel/touch/sound i can recommend only Roland or Yamaha stage pianos.
If you have the money and want a perfect feel and sound then go all the way and get a Clavinova (yamaha's home and grand pianos including the acoustic ones).
Thier price range is from 600-15000€ so you'll have plenty to choose from :)

Then again if you need portability check these models:

Yamaha P85 (very light home piano)
Yamaha P140 (THE best home piano you'll find on the market with built in speakers)
Yamaha CP33 (a brilliant stage piano, with outstanding sounds and feel.) - I own one, but no built in speakers... it is a stage piano after all
Yamaha CP300 (almost the same as CP33 but with more thingies on board and built in speakers)

Roland on the other hand has a bit bigger variety of stage pianos but the low end ones use GM sounds (General midi) not the sampled ones
like yamaha has (sounds on yamaha are sampled in 3 layers of velocity including string resonance, off-key samples etc etc)

Here are some of them worthy of taking a look:

Roland FP4
Roland FP7
Roland RD300 SX
Roland RD700 SX
Roland RD300 GX
Roland RD700 GX

I tried only the RD300 SX which in my country costs the same as Yamaha's CP33, and all i can say is that CP33 blows the RD300 SX by miles.
Then again, I've been a Yamaha user for years and i just LOVE the piano sound coming out of their keyboards. It's richer, warmer and magnificent
when the reverb effects are applied. My opinion is that Rolands are a bit "dryer". But then again... it's all just my opinion.

It would be the best if you knew your budget. That will cut out a lot of these pianos if it's a low one... And after that just go out there and try them all your self.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Ask a Question