keyboard amps & monitors

Reaction score
OK now that I have the keyboard I need amplification. (using bass/guitar amps right now.)

What is the difference between using a keybd amp and a set of stereo monitors? Which would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hi Laura,

A keyboard amp is designed to accept the complex nuances of a keyboards sound pallette...it will definitley sound better thru a keyboard amp....In your post, you mention stereo monitors...if your talking about regular consumer grade stereo speakers, then the keyboard amp is still the way to go....Other than being able to run a keyboard thru studio monitors, a keyboard amp is best

hope this helps

Keyplayer

Reaction score
Hi Laura,

A keyboard amp is designed to accept the complex nuances of a keyboards sound pallette...it will definitley sound better thru a keyboard amp....In your post, you mention stereo monitors...if your talking about regular consumer grade stereo speakers, then the keyboard amp is still the way to go....

Keyplayer

I'm not sure what kind of speakers they are. Here's a link.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=19496&SourceType=RecentItems

yamaha msp3 Active Studio Monitor.

When i shopped for keyboards at Guitar Center & Sam Ash, they were connected to some kind of monitor/speaker things and they sounded great. These weren't keyboard amps.

Reaction score
Laura,

The Yamaha MSP-3's are decent,but they are not bi-amplified speakers,meaning that bi-amped monitors have seperate,individual amps for each driver i.e.,tweeter & woofer-which gives you more durablity & more clarity overall.

The Tapco S-5 monitors are the same price(at BHphotovideo.com) and for some reason,the Tapco's at Samash are $50 more-which is odd,because SamAsh is usually competitively priced.

I know you had a bad experience once with mail order,but I've dealt with BHPhotoVideo.com on several occasions & I've never had a problem.

In fact,I do most of my shopping online now,so you have nothing to lose.

I mentioned the Tapco monitors because they are built very solid,have excellent speaker components,very clean amps & the are the most beautiful sounding monitors you can get in the $300 price range.

Cheers,

Thom

Reaction score
a decent set of bi-amped speakers will work real nice for your keyboard, I use MAudio BX8's in my studio. I really didn't know how much I was missing in my sound untill I got a dedicated keyboard amp (Roland KC550) for live gigs, I use to just run direct to PA system which I still do line out the amp to PA. You may just need a practice amp and not 180 watts. If you are into home recording and only need monitors, the studio reference monitors may be your best bet. If you are going to play with a band get a keyboard amp. jmo Good luck on your purchase.

Reaction score
If you are into home recording and only need monitors, the studio reference monitors may be your best bet. If you are going to play with a band get a keyboard amp. jmo Good luck on your purchase.

My problem is I don't know exactly what I need because I definitely want to do home recording, but if I ever got good enough:rolleyes: I certainly would like to jam with others or even start a space-rock band that does stuff like Ozric Tentacles:eek:!!

but at the present time as a beginner I don't think my budget warrants more than $150.

So I guess a small amp is best...?

Reaction score
If your budget is $150,then the Yamahas you looked at are not an option,as those monitors are priced at $150 each.

Sometimes thay price individually like that,just to get people's attention.

If you can manage to add another $50 to your budget,then the Alesis M1 520's are a great choice for this price point and I think Samash carries them,as well as GuitarCenter.

Since you are so tenative on your purchase of an amp & doing live stuff is seemingly way down the road for you,then why not just get a pair of monitors in the interim?

I mean,you'll never regret having a decent pair of monitors for your new keyboard,as well as for your recordings-right?

Honestly,I can't imagine you being happy with a $150 amp,as the sound quality probably won't be much better than what you have now and why hook up a stereo keyboard to a single mono amp anyway?

Don't want to seem pushy here,but you will be amazed at the difference in clarity that studio monitors will provide.

Just some food for thought....

Elwood

Reaction score
For live playing, chances are studio monitors wont cut it. Besides, its much easier just to take a single keyboard amp on stage. And you will probably save your self some money

Reaction score
For live playing, chances are studio monitors wont cut it. Besides, its much easier just to take a single keyboard amp on stage. And you will probably save your self some money

Are there any kinds you would specifically recommend or avoid? I have a Yamaha keyboard.

Reaction score

No one is suggesting to use studio monitors for a live gig & certainly not me.
I suggested monitors for Laura,because the bulk of her playing will be at home.
I was not suggesting that she buy monitors instead of a keyboard amp,but since the monitors I mentioned are very inexpensive,she could eventually buy both down the road.

I would never suggest to anyone that they buy one or the other,such as an amp for both home & live playing & vice versa.

Studio monitors & keyboard amps serve very different purposes,so my best suggestion,was to buy both.

There are exceptions to the rule though,as my Adam A7 monitors are durable enough to withstand high volume levels-such as in a live gig,but of course,I would not suggest buying these monitors,as they are a $1,000 a pair.

Some people are happy using keyboard amps for home use & the Hartke line of keyboard amps are very nice,but in general,keyboard amps do not have the sound quality of monitors,because the components & designs are very different.

But be warned,even though keyboard amps are designed for high volume levels,not all keyboard amps are equal & if you go too cheap when purchasing a keyboard amp,you could easily blow up some keyboard amps if you push them hard.

Behringer keyboard amps are product that you should stay away from at all costs,as you'll just be pissing your money away.

This company is the biggest joke in the intermediate & professional world,because they use consumer grade materials & they try to pass thier products off as being professional grade.

I honestly can't recommend any keyboard amp for a $150 that won't sound like a train wreck & blow up in your face when you crank it up loud,I'm sorry to say.

Elwood

Reaction score
I suggested monitors for Laura,because the bulk of her playing will be at home.

Well, presently I'm at the 'practicing chords & progressions in my bedroom" beginner stage, but you never know, maybe I'll jam with some folks. I used to play (bass) with some local friends & we did gigs. In fact I just got in touch with them again & they said "come & jam with any instrument you like". :rolleyes:

I'm one of these people where you never know what will happen. Although I don't imagine playing at the Spectrum or anything like that.:D

I honestly can't recommend any keyboard amp for a $150 that won't sound like a train wreck & blow up in your face when you crank it up loud,I'm sorry to say.
Elwood
Well, maybe I"m better off sticking with my guitar & bass amps for now then. At least till I get good enough to want to be heard.;)

Ask a Question