Keyboard Rig Pics

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My studio is about 12 x 8. I have room for all my gear as well as a single guest bed for people who might sleep over.

Also have keyboards, controllers and computers scattered in every nook and cranny of my 2 bedroom apt.

None in the kitchen or bathroom yet, but give me time :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
packed with my favorite toys!
I noticed one whitish/pink guitar on the rack with a vivid pink strap.
I guess that is your wifes.. she has one allocated space I presume . .lol. That is very thoughtful of you.
Other than that . . a very tidy mess. No empty bourbon cans to be seen.
Ray;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
brbon_can1.jpg

Marinade for Canadian Livers :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Gary! Thanks! Actually, I have robotic extendable arms that I use to reach the 'boards!

Naw! I usually have a lot of things like some of the guitars out in the living room on stands. I just brought them in for the sake of the video. As for the microphone stands. Well, they actually can move! Whoda thunk! I forgot to show a few things though. One being my old Yamaha QX-3 sequencer. Many years ago that was my primary recorder for keyboards. I also used to have a Tascam Portastudio. It was a 4 track cassette recorder. Long gone now though. I've always been totally fascinated with recording. And since recording in real studios was always out of my budget, I figured there had to be a way to do it myself. With a little time and a lot of patience, you could get a great recording out of a Portastudio. Bruce Springsteen did as far as I know his first couple of albums on one. I could be wrong on that but that's what I heard years ago.

Biggles, Thanks! The house that I live in; we rent the top half;l was built in the late 50's or early 60's. I've seen 300 square foot condos in downtown Toronto. I've seen ones that actually have a Murphy bed! You know? One that tilts up against the wall to give you more room? These places sell for over a quarter of a freaking million! Ya gotta be daft to buy that!

Reaction score
Very impressive, I shared this information with my minister for finance, commenting how a real music studio should look like and at the same time referring to my e453 as the first building block of my very own studio.

Now, being very perceptive to body language brought about by 40 years of blissful marriage the rolling of the eyes did somewhat dampen my enthusiasm, alas a slight adjustment of my strategy may be in order. By the way Gary I see you are into Linux, I am a bit of a Ubuntu fan and love the flexibility the operating system provides.

Have a great day!:)
Rafferty

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Rafferty >>> I'd suggest you counter the eye-rolling with the immediate threat of a cabinet shuffle :D :D :D

Pursuing the arts as we descend into our dotage is our god given right as Geezers!!! :D

GEEZERS RULE!!!! :eek:

Gary ;)

PS > I've ditched Windows as my primary OS for over two decades now and never looked back.

I keep a couple of dual boot machines strictly for the purpose of upgrading the occasional firmware and to be honest Windows 10 is more trouble than it's worth. Still running Win 7 on the duals.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 on all my PC's and so is my wife. I've got Windows 10 on my spare computer. Don't ask.

A funny thing here, at most Beer Stores they're running XP! And so is the Hudson Bay Store at the Scarborough Town center. No wonder retail is taking such a big hit!

Windows 10 broke a computer of mine. I has to do drastic measures to get it up and running. Thyat's why it's my "spare".

BTW. Nice set up,Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Government and Brick and Mortar stores are slow to embrace change. When you have $million$ invested in thousands of XP licenses it's no small feat to bring accounting and inventory and shipping and all the other departments up to speed on the latest and greatest and (buggiest) new operating system and apps.

But I agree that the crappy inventory control system that Sears Canada used played no small part in their utter failure in this country,

Myself I stopped using Windows as my primary back around 98 and for web surfing, email, and even sequencing running Cakewalk under Wine and especially for privacy concerns Linux cannot be beaten. It's stable, it's robust, it's secure, it's very well documented and it's FREE!!! as in BEER!!!

What's not to love? :)

I just wish that more software and hardware manufacturers would get on board and ship linux friendly utilities with their products.

It's purely for these few idiots that I keep Win 7 around. Just because a device is USB MIDI Class Compliant doesn't necessarily mean that the editors and firmware upgraders will work with Linux. :p

Anyway, it's like a million degrees out there today and I'm enjoying a well deserved Stella Artois as I wind down for the evening. :)

I bid you all alcoholic well wishes. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm also having a cold one right now. A Creemore Springs. I was supposed to be in the middle of a songwriting session in the studio downstairs but the drummer failed to let us knwo he couldn't make it so I'm happy up in my own studio working on my own music.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ever since I got the Samplepad Pro and learned how hard it is to drum to a MIDI click track I've stopped telling drummer jokes. (Unless I hear a really funny one) :D :D :D

Q: What's the difference between a Drummer and a Savings Bond?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

A: Savings bonds EVENTUALLY mature :D :D :D

(*Rimshot*)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Jeremy, I have used all windows offerings and found Win8 very cumbersome. In contrast Win7 would have to be my preferred operating system. After experiencing issues with Win10 (in some cases after an update) I switched to Linux. Having said that, my main machine contains both operating system and either can be loaded by changing the boot order.

I found Linux Mint an ideal introduction to Linux and if you experience issues with Win10 it may be worthwhile to experiment with Mint.

Concluding, to put things into perspective, the issues I have with Win10 may not be related to the frequent upgrades but may be caused by one of many apps residing in my PC.

PS > Gary I would love a glass of Chardy but I am in a C2H5OH free year...apart from that I am reasonably sane :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Rafferty >>> I have been using KXStudio's version of Kubuntu for over a decade now.

For multimedia production it is the best solution I have found to coordinating and effectively using JACK Audio Connection Kit and a host of freeware DAWs and VSTis.

It really can be installed on any version of Debian including Mint and it makes configuring hardware a pleasure instead of a chore.

If you'd like to give it a try here's the URLs.

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/index.php

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Downloads

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Give the Live CD version a try at least. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question