Keyboard Rig Pics

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's the problem. iPads are a poor substitute for a good digital camera. 3 or 4 properly angled shots from extreme corners of the room could have done the job nicely unless you wanted to display more detail.

A monopod or a selfie stick and a self timer would allow you to shoot the room from seemingly impossible angles :)

Still, it does give a decent overview of your setup.

GGary ;0

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's where the monopod and the self timer come into play ;)

But also, phone and tablet cameras are designed mainly for webcam and selfie use with a "normal" focal length.

Point and shoot, zoom, digital cameras are designed with adjustable focal lengths from mildly wide angle to some pretty extreme telephoto ranges.

My Canon Powershot SX620 has a focal range 35 mm equivalent of 25 mm to 625 mm.

That means unzoomed it has the equivalent of a 25 mm wide angle lens on a 35 mm film camera. On a 35 mm camera anything below 18 mm is already considered a fisheye lens which is such an extreme wide angle it distorts the field of view. Much like your panorama shots.

"Normal" focal length on a 35 mm camera is about 50 to 55 mm. This is the equivalent viewing angle of an average human eye.

Again, most webcams are the equivalent of "normal" focal length.

Also I don't know if you surf this forum on your tablet or on a laptop or desktop, but I've noticed that most of the photos you post are pretty low rez. On a 1080p monitor most of them seem to be no larger than big thumbnails.

My advice would be to adjust the resolution of your photos to 1280x960 or thereabouts so you don't lose too much detail.

A lot of us old geezers on here struggle with astigmatism and near-sightedness in our old age and would appreciate some larger images. The forum handles scaling automatically and shrinks them for quick viewing but also allows expansion up to full rez for detailed inspection with a left click.

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt. I didn't mean for this to become a lecture on photography but I was shooting with a 35 mm SLR and developing my own images back when I was still in high school. A lot of those principles still apply today :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The photos are actually of a much higher resolution when they are taken. I resize them down to no larger than 700 pixels because I sort of learned rather quickly that it causes problems to upload large images on forums. What would happen is that someone would upload a full size photo, and then it would make the rest of the thread be oversized to where you would need to scroll sideways to read anything. It was sort of a no-go. Perhaps this forum is not formatted that way since you mention that it scales them automatically. I can certainly upload the originals.

Reaction score
I tried to do them in their original size, but my image hoster says they are too big. This is what they look like at 1280. Let me know if they aren't good enough. I appreciate the advice re photography. I may be able to get better photos tomorrow or sometime after that if needed.

IMG-0788.jpg

IMG-0810.jpg

IMG-0818.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
MMM

Now we can see why your signature is longer than your posts.

Impressive collections, it looks like you have kept every keyboard you have owned.

Love the look of the Cellini, never tried an accordian, one day!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The E5 key has a small circular faded fingerprint that looks like it was made by a finger dipped in grape juice. I tried wiping it off but it's persistent and polishes won't work since the key surfaces on this model are textured.
Try a little dab of bi carbonate of soda. Just make a paste with water about the size of as much toothpaste you would use on your brush . . Or less! Just rub it gently on the stain with your finger. The stain should come out.. Clean off the solution with a damp sponge or cloth.

Bi Carb or Baking Soda as you may know it . . is non abrasive and will not do any harm.

Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ray >>> I absolutely refuse to use any sort of polishing compound on the key in situ. I am all too well aware of what can happen to the contacts if any of that gunk slips between the keys and winds up on the contacts below :p

Believe me, the last thing I want to do is turn my latest acquisition into a bloody screwdriver job :p

Like I said earlier, I'll learn to live with it. o_O

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I tried to do them in their original size, but my image hoster says they are too big. This is what they look like at 1280. Let me know if they aren't good enough. I appreciate the advice re photography. I may be able to get better photos tomorrow or sometime after that if needed.

IMG-0788.jpg

IMG-0810.jpg

IMG-0818.jpg

Max >>> 1280 looks pretty good on my 1080P desktop monitor. Details like the accordions are more visible now than they were previously.

While I find most forums won't allow ginormous pics that are 3K or 4K or 5K wide due to memory concerns, most will easily accept 1280 x 960 pics. It's also a pretty decent size on a 22" or 23" 1080P monitor. Not quite full screen, but large enough to be substantial and make out important details.

I also find 1280 to be a good size for email attachments as well. Not so large in size that they eat up too much memory, but detailed enough that they could print out with decent detail if need be at the other end.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this short clip in here due to its unusual perspective. We tend to talk about the keyboards in our rigs a lot but I also have a lot of "other stuff" visible here.

I'm not doing a lot of keys playing in this clip but you can see me fiddling madly with my iPad which runs SampleLab for the multitude of sound effects I trigger during the show. On the right above the KingKorg is my laptop running ProPresenter which I use to trigger all our videos. The little tablet hidden behind the Krome has my charts and memory aids on it.

At the right of screen under my very road-worn JBL 515XT monitor is my rack which has an Ashly LX 308 B line mixer, plus an Alesis Multimix 8 (this is a redundancy in case the Ashly fails). You can't actually see the mixer in this clip but you can certainly see me fiddling with it at about 0:36.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a fourth keyboard to my rig as a dedicated midi controller to run an organ module. But just not sure if I can be bothered lugging an extra 'board all around the country. We'll see..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A beautiful video Paul. It gives us a real "fly on the wall" perspective of your job during a show.

Most stage show videos tend to hide the keyboard away in some dark corner of the background obscured from view but this definitely shows off your process in detail.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this short clip in here due to its unusual perspective. We tend to talk about the keyboards in our rigs a lot but I also have a lot of "other stuff" visible here.

I'm not doing a lot of keys playing in this clip but you can see me fiddling madly with my iPad which runs SampleLab for the multitude of sound effects I trigger during the show. On the right above the KingKorg is my laptop running ProPresenter which I use to trigger all our videos. The little tablet hidden behind the Krome has my charts and memory aids on it.

At the right of screen under my very road-worn JBL 515XT monitor is my rack which has an Ashly LX 308 B line mixer, plus an Alesis Multimix 8 (this is a redundancy in case the Ashly fails). You can't actually see the mixer in this clip but you can certainly see me fiddling with it at about 0:36.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a fourth keyboard to my rig as a dedicated midi controller to run an organ module. But just not sure if I can be bothered lugging an extra 'board all around the country. We'll see..
Very cool! Always interesting to see how people are actually using their rigs in practice.

Reaction score

Or just buy a VT board....

Reaction score
Virtual Tonewheel. Personally I wouldnt see the point of a controller and modle just for one type of sound - ie organ. Just get a light virtual organ.

If you would use the controller for other things - maybe for several modules then yeh - but just for organs?

Ask a Question