My Music - 10 post requirement

Discussion in 'Announcements and Website Suggestions' started by Becky, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Becky

Becky Administrator

This forum is a fantastic place for people to get feedback on their music, but I've noticed recently that the give and take isn't always equal. We seem to be getting more and more people who just want to promote their music and get feedback but without giving anything back in return. As a result, we have decided to introduce a minimum post requirement on the My Music forum section. From today, you cannot start a new topic in My Music unless you have already made 10 posts.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/forums/my-music.56/

Any questions, feel free to share them here :)

Becky, Apr 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

Rayblewit Love Music / Love Life

Not a question . . Just a comment.
    I was wandering why we were getting lots of music from unknown people (new members).
    I thoroughly agree with your new policy.
    Well done. Cheers to you Becky.
    -ray

Rayblewit, Apr 10, 2017
    Becky and happyrat1 like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

CowboyNQ

[stands and applauds]

CowboyNQ, Apr 10, 2017
    Becky and happyrat1 like this.
  4. Becky

Alchemy

Being a tricked guinea pig is not fair. We should all tolerate some for the sake of not being a false judge but when it becomes too much and mainly just because we are an easy target because of where we spend time then yes something probably should be done to counteract. Seems like it might be a good idea.

Alchemy, Apr 11, 2017
  5. Becky

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

I don't mind if someone posts a new tune once a week or so, but when amateur hour starts playing itself out on a daily basis or even multiple times per day I can't afford to waste a half hour every day to critique every tune.

At that point I just start ignoring their posts.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in encouraging new talent of all skill levels, but sometimes it's unbearably long or just plain bad and I haven't got the heart to leave a negative critique and I can't afford to waste 8 minutes listening for some redeeming value in a piece.

Hell. That guy posting meditation music posts 30 minute cuts on a regular basis. If I'm tuning in at 10 AM the last thing I need to listen to is something that's gonna put me back to sleep :eek:

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Apr 11, 2017
  6. Becky

Alchemy

that's funny. I actually fell asleep last nite listening to one and it definitely wasn't something to fall asleep to. Nah, I fall asleep to anything on youtube. :rolleyes:

Alchemy, Apr 11, 2017
    happyrat1 and Rayblewit like this.
  7. Becky

I was going to reply to rat!
    You beat me to it . . LOL
    Turning in at 10am . . chuckle:p
    Good Night!:eek:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Rayblewit, Apr 11, 2017
  8. Becky

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

Personally, I don't mind all the posted performances, since I don't usually listen to them anyway unless I have a definite reason to, such as I recognize the name of the song and it's one I like. I'm a member of several forums where people like to post their recordings, and I rarely listen to the recordings on any of those sites. I'm not trying to be cold or antisocial or insensitive, it's just that (1) listening takes time, (2) I don't feel technically or musically qualified to judge anyone's performances, and (3) I don't want to say anything that the person might take the wrong way. It's very difficult for humans to completely divorce their egos from their performances, such that any criticism at all of someone's performance, no matter how well-intentioned, can be taken as a personal attack or-- at worst-- a soul-crushing blow.

SeaGtGruff, Apr 11, 2017
  9. Becky

Alchemy

well put Mike. You made me picture all the sketches of burnt out producers with lines of people wanting to have their talent seen or heard. That is going to be a very natural thing with anyone no matter how hard they try. Honestly I can't think of anything I've heard on here that I could say is bad in a real sense. Some type of things I just can't stand but it just has to do with my style and there are infinite ways of looking at things and hearing things and I know I'll always miss. Yeh, it can get real touchy and I even started avoiding because I don't want to judge either and I can't think of the right thing to say and I tend to be very critical even of things that are absolutely great in my mind. I always want to see if something can be perfected even more. That often wouldn't jive well here I think. I wrote a small book once, had it proof read, "published," the works. To me I thought it would revolutionize the world. I passed out maybe 20 copies locally. Only one person got it and they were indeed overwhelmed as I thought all would be. The rest either didn't understand or just didn't want to because of their own beliefs. I was the first school weekly news editor at my school in 6th grade. All I did was print stories from the popular kids and the biggest kid so he wouldn't beat me up :) I wouldn't even look at the stuff from 1st-4th graders "cause they were dumb." I even relayed that to the co editors. When I think back to that I really want to cry. All those poor little kids rejected just because of me and beautiful stuff I never even looked at. :( I'm probably going to think all day on this phenomenon.

Alchemy, Apr 11, 2017
    Rayblewit and happyrat1 like this.
  10. Becky

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

TUNING in not turning in...

Dur...

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Apr 11, 2017
    Rayblewit likes this.
  11. Becky

LOL:p Dopey old man can't read properly!
    I thought maybe you stay up all night and early morning on the YouTube and Google machine!
    Good Morning! :)

Rayblewit, Apr 11, 2017
    happyrat1 likes this.
  12. Becky

romain57

Hello to all and to all! :)

I read this post: obviously, I feel guilty of not bringing enough criticisms on the forum, and posting a lot!

I have an important musical production (98 pieces since January, 2016): I want to share my works (fortunately for you that I am not still retired :D)

Another problem which slows down me in my participation, it is the language! I use a translator but I consider that the result is not very good...for you...to understand what i want to say.

And then, I am selective in my listening: I am interested only in original works...

I thank those who listened to and commented on my creations, since little of time when I am on Keyboard Forum!;)

romain57, Apr 24, 2017
    happyrat1 and Rayblewit like this.
  13. Becky

Fishingmusician1

I think that's a good idea, if people want to participate then they take the first step towards being a part of something bigger than themselves in a community of peers. The one and dones who pop through and are gone are indicative of a common problem on music sharing websites. Another example is a karaoke website I belong to. There is a loyal group of regular members who freely post and comment on other member's recordings - you get to know them in a way just like you do here. And then there are those who join just to post pictures of themselves in that section. Go to their page and their song list is non existent. Cheap thrill and exposure, wannabes, who knows - and guess who has the most pictures, they do. I feel semi-regular here and like to pop in so many days a week even just to browse with an occasional comment, I try to check out when people post their music. I'm working on two songs, but of course fishing can take up a lot of time. Once I get on a run though I'm usually at it till it's done. Again, splendid idea I say. If you'd like to hear my karaoke, just ask (cheap plug, just kidding).

Fishingmusician1, May 23, 2017
    happyrat1 and Becky like this.
    1. Advertisements