My Music - 10 post requirement

Reaction score
This forum is a fantastic place for people to get feedback on their music, but I've noticed recently that the give and take isn't always equal. We seem to be getting more and more people who just want to promote their music and get feedback but without giving anything back in return. As a result, we have decided to introduce a minimum post requirement on the My Music forum section. From today, you cannot start a new topic in My Music unless you have already made 10 posts.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/forums/my-music.56/

Any questions, feel free to share them here :)

Reaction score
Being a tricked guinea pig is not fair. We should all tolerate some for the sake of not being a false judge but when it becomes too much and mainly just because we are an easy target because of where we spend time then yes something probably should be done to counteract. Seems like it might be a good idea.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't mind if someone posts a new tune once a week or so, but when amateur hour starts playing itself out on a daily basis or even multiple times per day I can't afford to waste a half hour every day to critique every tune.

At that point I just start ignoring their posts.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in encouraging new talent of all skill levels, but sometimes it's unbearably long or just plain bad and I haven't got the heart to leave a negative critique and I can't afford to waste 8 minutes listening for some redeeming value in a piece.

Hell. That guy posting meditation music posts 30 minute cuts on a regular basis. If I'm tuning in at 10 AM the last thing I need to listen to is something that's gonna put me back to sleep :eek:

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Personally, I don't mind all the posted performances, since I don't usually listen to them anyway unless I have a definite reason to, such as I recognize the name of the song and it's one I like. I'm a member of several forums where people like to post their recordings, and I rarely listen to the recordings on any of those sites. I'm not trying to be cold or antisocial or insensitive, it's just that (1) listening takes time, (2) I don't feel technically or musically qualified to judge anyone's performances, and (3) I don't want to say anything that the person might take the wrong way. It's very difficult for humans to completely divorce their egos from their performances, such that any criticism at all of someone's performance, no matter how well-intentioned, can be taken as a personal attack or-- at worst-- a soul-crushing blow.

Reaction score
well put Mike. You made me picture all the sketches of burnt out producers with lines of people wanting to have their talent seen or heard. That is going to be a very natural thing with anyone no matter how hard they try. Honestly I can't think of anything I've heard on here that I could say is bad in a real sense. Some type of things I just can't stand but it just has to do with my style and there are infinite ways of looking at things and hearing things and I know I'll always miss. Yeh, it can get real touchy and I even started avoiding because I don't want to judge either and I can't think of the right thing to say and I tend to be very critical even of things that are absolutely great in my mind. I always want to see if something can be perfected even more. That often wouldn't jive well here I think. I wrote a small book once, had it proof read, "published," the works. To me I thought it would revolutionize the world. I passed out maybe 20 copies locally. Only one person got it and they were indeed overwhelmed as I thought all would be. The rest either didn't understand or just didn't want to because of their own beliefs. I was the first school weekly news editor at my school in 6th grade. All I did was print stories from the popular kids and the biggest kid so he wouldn't beat me up :) I wouldn't even look at the stuff from 1st-4th graders "cause they were dumb." I even relayed that to the co editors. When I think back to that I really want to cry. All those poor little kids rejected just because of me and beautiful stuff I never even looked at. :( I'm probably going to think all day on this phenomenon.

Reaction score
Hello to all and to all! :)

I read this post: obviously, I feel guilty of not bringing enough criticisms on the forum, and posting a lot!

I have an important musical production (98 pieces since January, 2016): I want to share my works (fortunately for you that I am not still retired :D)

Another problem which slows down me in my participation, it is the language! I use a translator but I consider that the result is not very good...for you...to understand what i want to say.

And then, I am selective in my listening: I am interested only in original works...

I thank those who listened to and commented on my creations, since little of time when I am on Keyboard Forum!;)

Reaction score
I think that's a good idea, if people want to participate then they take the first step towards being a part of something bigger than themselves in a community of peers. The one and dones who pop through and are gone are indicative of a common problem on music sharing websites. Another example is a karaoke website I belong to. There is a loyal group of regular members who freely post and comment on other member's recordings - you get to know them in a way just like you do here. And then there are those who join just to post pictures of themselves in that section. Go to their page and their song list is non existent. Cheap thrill and exposure, wannabes, who knows - and guess who has the most pictures, they do. I feel semi-regular here and like to pop in so many days a week even just to browse with an occasional comment, I try to check out when people post their music. I'm working on two songs, but of course fishing can take up a lot of time. Once I get on a run though I'm usually at it till it's done. Again, splendid idea I say. If you'd like to hear my karaoke, just ask (cheap plug, just kidding).

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I'm really bad it comes to listening to music on forums even though I post a lot of my own on forums. When I do, I generally listen to the first few seconds and then bump ahead a bit and listen a bit more. If it's pop, hip hop or deep house, I usually drop out within seconds.
That's just me and my tastes though and I make no apologies for being me.
And yes I do realize that a huge percentage of the world loves these genres. I just don't.
I want to hear real and mostly unquantized playing. No freaking auto tune, PLEASE! It's really quite simple. If you can't sing in tune, get somebody who can. Either that or keep on redoing the track until it's in tune for crying out loud!
Forgive my rant here but last night I went and saw the band Styx in concert. They adamantly refuse to use auto tune live and I'd have to say that for more than 90% of the night their vocals were dead on in tune. Why? Because they know how to sing!

So, forgive me for being an old fart but for the most part, if you want me to listen to your music, and I'd probably like to, tell us what style it is. If it's rock, I'm in. If not, I'm not.

I tried to watch that Christmas thing but, well, let's just say that for me the only redeeming thing going on was that the violinist has a very pretty face. After about 15 seconds though , I was done.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fair enough. I do the same thing but opposite. I mostly enjoy prog rock, new wave and R&B the most, but I'm willing to listen to any style including jazz and classical and world styles as well.

Stuff I won't listen to is Metal, Rap, Opera and Chinese Gong Music.

Those styles just give me headaches. :)

My Black Sabbath days are way behind me :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I can't believe i agree with Gary!:eek:
Where did I leave my Prozac?:D
Almost word for word Gary! Except I do like some Metal. Especially Metallica. I am not keen on Hip Hop and Punk!
But just Rock alone Jeremy? That's pretty sad:( man!
Ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I enjoy listening to a wide variety of music. But about the only kind of music I play is Chinese Gong Music, because my meager skills can handle that. ;)

Reaction score
Maybe I should have clarified that a bit. When I say rock, I mean pretty much all the subjenres. Metal, country rock like tom petty. Classic rock strikes like Chickenfoot. Jazz rock fusion. Symphonic rock and Symphonic meta. I have over 500 hundred cd's. Funk rock like Lenny Kravitz. Fusion like Chick Corea's Electric band. Rap rock like Rage against the Machine. The common denominator being that all of these styles have attitude and generally don't use artificial things like auto tune to make them sound good. The singers sing with passion and who cares if there is a pitch Issue? All of the players play like it's the last days of their lives and if every note depends on it. Hell, I even bought an Eminem cd to see if I could get into it. I don't really like it much but I did try.
About the only non rock music besides some jazz and classical,that I listen to is electronic music but not EDM. More like ambient things but I just get this off of YouTube.

Hope that helps.
Everybody have a good day!

Jeremykeys

Reaction score
This forum is a fantastic place for people to get feedback on their music, but I've noticed recently that the give and take isn't always equal. We seem to be getting more and more people who just want to promote their music and get feedback but without giving anything back in return. As a result, we have decided to introduce a minimum post requirement on the My Music forum section. From today, you cannot start a new topic in My Music unless you have already made 10 posts.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/forums/my-music.56/

Any questions, feel free to share them here :)
My account shows 17 "messages," bur I don't have enough to post. Does a reply count as a post? If so, what's up? Thanks, i have looked for more detail...

Ask a Question