Need a Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi people, i play guitar but i have always loved keyboards/synthesizers but never got round to getting hold of one.

Have no idea what one would suit me best?

I love some 90's dance music (like rozalla - ready to fly :D) and i'm also quit into moderat - let in the light.

A friend once told me rolands are good for the 90's dance songs?

Any advice would be great, looking to spend about £200 (second hand keyboards too maybe?).

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
200 UK pounds isn't going to buy you a whole lot of keyboard and even used it will probably get you a real antique, though possibly one with some good retro sounds.

Rather than give you any specific recommendations why not search your local craigslist and see what catches your eye.

Then post your final 3 or 4 choices here and we'll help you make a decision.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :)

I've checked out ebay and found some.

Casio HT 3000
Roland XP-10
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha MM8

I also saw a korg mc1. Do most people hook up synths to laptops now and use software to create the sounds instead? I may look into this way instead? Although it would be nice to have a full length synth?

Thanks again!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off, the only synth on your list that's not older than dirt is the Yamaha MM6.

Bear in mind though, that a lot depends on who previously owned it and whether or not they took it on the road.

Synths are mechanical instruments with lots of fiddly bits and small parts that can easily break.

My advice is try to find something less than 5-6 years old and has been babied in somebody's home studio.

I also don't recommend buying used from eBay because shipping will kill you both ways if it has to go back.

Instead I prefer to buy locally from outfits like craigslist where I can actually go and see the merchandise before I hand over the cash.

As for MIDI controllers and soft synths, that's definitely another way to go depending on what your needs and preferences are.

You should definitely read this excellent thread on buying a new keyboard before you spend any cash.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/the-which-keyboard-should-i-get-overview-read-first.21974/

Gary

Reaction score
Very much appreciate your replies happyrat1 :)

A midi synth would probably suit my needs better. From what i can see you can still get full length one's too.

Could you recommend some good makes for midi synths at all?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well since you're into dance music you might want to consider picking up a used Casio XW-P1. They've been around long enough that a few used ones must be out there. I own one myself.

The Yamaha MM6 would also be a good choice.

Maybe a Korg X-50.

These are all fairly recent keyboards you might find used around the $300 USD range.

Ask a Question