Help Narrowing

Reaction score
I know there is alot of stuff on this already, but I was hoping someone could help me narrow down some options, as I am not very experienced and getting a bit overwhelmed.

I am looking for a keyboard that I can use both as a stage piano and workstation (stage piano being slightly more important than workstation at the moment, but not much). I am originally a classical pianist, so nice touch and good piano sound is important to me. I now play alot of jazz, blues and funk, and this is the type of music I would be playing live with this keyboard. I would like something with a range of good sounds, though piano is the most important. I would like to be able to record and compose in the future, mix with a computer etc.

I have gotten the impression that a Yamaha brand would be best for the piano sounds.

I have played from of the CP series stage pianos before, and they are nice, but they don't seem at all workstation oriented. So I have eliminated that.

That leaves the motif series and the s series, but there is so much technical information on both that I am a bit baffled and having a hard time going through it.

My brother uses an MO8. It seems pretty good, and does a decent job as a live piano too, with the appropriate equipment.

The S and Motif series seem like quite the step up, but also quite the step up in price.

Could someone recommend something that they think is good. My price range is quite flexible. I'd rather not pay a fortune, but I'm willing to pay for quality.

Also I teach at a music school with partnered store and I can get discounts on Korg keyboards. I had sort of discounted korg due to reading alot of comments that their piano sounds are not as good as yamaha, but if there is something comparable to recommend that I can save some money on, I would love to know.

Ask a Question