Hi there which one to buy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
just about to buy my first keyboard, and i can't decide which one of these to buy, either the EZ220 or the PSR E343
I like the idea of the keys that light up, it must make "knocking" a tune out easier, for a complete begineer, but the PSR seems a bit more versatile, any thought guys ?

Reaction score
Hmm, listened to lots of videos on youtube and i have to say that the casio keyboards seem to sound better than the yamaha, they sound a bit sharper, i partiquarly liked the casio ctk6200, i really need some input as to what to buy, the market is really confusing for a complete novice

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In that price range it really boils down to whatever you can afford that sounds good to you.

It all depends on what you really plan to use it for. What styles of music and whether or not you plan to use it to record MIDI or MP3 on your computer?

My advice and the general consensus around here is that lighted keys are a gimmick which actually impede learning how to properly play a keyboard.

I'd also recommend looking at the 76 key models from Casio like the WK-6500 and the WK-7600.

A little more robust and with room to grow and the additional keys come in handy when you're playing certain types of music.

Like I said, it boils down to budget and how serious you are about learning to play keys.

Better to start off with something a little more professional from the start though. Saves you the hassle of trying to unload the kiddie keys when your first upgrade comes along.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And if your goal is to become an honest to god piano player then don't look at anything except the Yamaha CP line and the Casio Privia line of home and stage pianos.

If your goal is playing piano then you NEED 88 weighted, hammer action keys.

The Yamahas and the Casios are the only brands out there that fill the bill at the bottom end of the price range. Avoid the off brand stuff like M-Audio.

Or, for an obsolescence proof setup, take a look at a dedicated MIDI controller and some soft synths like the Arturia Keylab 61 or Keylab 88 with bundled software they are an excellent deal for learning and home studio production.

Gary

Reaction score
its not really about spending the money on a better one, i just thought that if i can't pick up the playing, then at least ive not spent a lot, if i do pick up the playing, then no prob, i can buy a top of the range keyboard

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You asked for opinions and info and I gave you mine.

As far as $100 kiddie keyboards go, one's pretty much as good as any other. :p

Ya get what ya pay for.

And lighted keys are useless.

Gary :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And if yer looking to save money check out your local craigslist. You'll find at least 50 low end yamahas and casios for sale in your area from other people who "gave it a try and found out they weren't talented enough."

You'll be able to pick one up for half the retail price.

Gary

Reaction score
well here in the UK the $100 kiddie keyboards like the casio ctk 6200 go for $350, and the cheapest CP's are $2200
when i started to learn the guitar i spend a few hundred pounds on a bugdet guitar, but now im a better player , i have a Gibson and a Fender and a few others, it must not the same with keyboards, you must not be able to play anything on the cheaper keyboards but hey, thanks for the help

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As far as your original question, I'd personally choose the PSR-E343 over the EZ-220. I haven't played either one, but I agree with Gary that lighted keys are largely a gimmick, so I'd rather get a keyboard with more features than one with lighted keys. The PSR-E343 is the next model down from the PSR-E443, which I have.

I haven't played a CTK-6200, either, but if you compare the features and specifications on equally-priced Yamaha and Casio keyboards it seems like Casio usually gives you "more bang for your buck." I generally prefer the sound of Yamaha's keyboards better than Casio's, but I do think that Casio's acoustic piano voice has a crisper, cleaner sound than Yamaha's-- at least "straight out of the box." Yamaha seems to like turning up the Reverb setting on their Voices, although you can turn it down if you want.

Reaction score
As an additional thought, not sure if you have the opportunity to try either of these keyboards (or any others for that matter) in a shop?

There's nothing like having a bit of a muck around yourself to see what feels more intuitive to use, which action feels nicer under your fingers, and also which one sounds nicer to your ear. I find that a lot of beginners are more keen to persevere if they like the sounds that their keyboard is making. Helps get you through that initial tough part of learning an instrument.

Reaction score
thanks guys, im gonna do just that today, Cowboy, although it will be a complete muck about, as ive never pressed a key at all before

Reaction score
I will add my thoughts as a beginner myself and having owned the previous model e333 Yamaha I would say go for the 343 or even the 333 , great little keyboard for dipping your toe in you can pick them up cheap used on ebay , for example I paid 100 pounds at my local music shop used and sold it for 90 at Christmas bit like cars if you buy used your don't lose as much depreciation , keys play nice and can stand a few knocks so not a lot can go wrong unless its been seriously abused , I currently have a korg pa 300 but I couldn't tell any difference with the keys quality on the korg .my opinion in the low to mid range keyboards of Yamaha korg and roland the key quality is about the same , when you pay more on the midrange models you are paying for the upgrade in sound engine and bells and whistles not any improvement in key quality , I would stear clear of low end casios if key quality is important to you as having owned a ctk 7200 the keys are poorer quality although the keyboard has some great features.

I am in the process of changing my korg as although it is a great keyboard there are some things I don't like on it and too complex in some areas for me , I am paying for features I will never use as I not interested in arranging my own songs or any others for that matter I know I could spend time may arranging some wonderful backings but it doesn't really interest me I prefer just playing on the fly and having quick access functions , the korg does have quick access features but the keyboard isn't that well layed out in my opinion like having a simple dual button I have also fallen in love with playing acoustic piano so I am selling the korg and getting a roland bk-3 and putting the left over money towards a reconditioned acoustic piano

Reaction score
thanks Mark, i think the yamaha 343 will be the one i buy, but i still say i do like the idea of the lighted keys on the 220, the whole idea of any hobby is to have some fun, i think some folk forget that, if its not fun, then for me theres no point in doing it, not everyone who gets a keyboard wants to be a virtuoso on it

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So are you asking our permission to buy a 343 or a Lighted keyboard?

Sure music is a fun hobby, but everyone has different goals and outcomes for where they see themselves a year or two down the road.

If you just want to make noise get a vuvuzela. If you want to make MUSIC sometimes the quality of the gear matters.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
but i still say i do like the idea of the lighted keys on the 220

If you're wanting the keys to light up to help you learn which keys to press when playing different songs, there are other ways you can do that besides using lighted keys. The PSR-E343 has the "Yamaha Education Suite" ("Y.E.S.") built in, and you can use that to help you learn-- the keys you need to press for a given part (or in technical terms, a given MIDI channel) will be indicated on the little keyboard display on the LCD screen. There are also a variety of computer programs you can use to help you learn, such as Piano Booster and Synthesia.

On the other hand, if you think it would be fun to have the keys light up, then by all means, don't let us talk you out of it if that's what you really, really want to get-- after all, you're buying it for yourself, not for us.

However, keep in mind that the manufacturer has to spend money on every single feature that a keyboard has, so if you compare two equally-priced keyboards-- one with lighted keys and one without-- the keyboard without lighted keys will likely have more features than the keyboard with lighted keys, since the manufacturer didn't have to spend any money on the hardware and software needed to make the keys light up.

Reaction score
Thank you SeaGtGruff, having had a play with a few today i think the PSR-E343 will be the one, thanks for your reasoned answers

Reaction score
Hmm, finished UP buying a used Casio CTK-4200, im well pleased with it, a bit more help please, is there anysites where you can download music to say a usb stick that you can plug into the keyboard ?

thanks

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
There are a lot of sites that have MIDI song files-- just search for "midi song files" and you should find dozens. Or if you have a specific song you're looking for, search for the name of the song followed by "midi"-- e.g., "somewhere over the rainbow midi."

Note that most MIDI files normally use GM1 (General MIDI Level 1) programs (instrument sounds), and your keyboard probably has better-sounding tones, so once you've downloaded a MIDI song you might want to use a DAW to view the programs assigned to each MIDI channel and edit the song to use your keyboard's best tones-- e.g., if the MIDI song has assigned "Acoustic Guitar" to a track, you can check your keyboard's tone list and try out the various acoustic guitar tones to find one you like, then use the DAW or MIDI editor to change the Bank Select and Program Change messages for that track so they select the specific tone that you like.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Except that with most Casios you have to run a MIDI to SMF converter program on them to make them readable on a Casio flash drive.

You also first have to format the flash memory on the Casio to create the right directory structure.

Easier to just plug into a computer and run your favorite MIDI player software on the MIDI files with the output pointing at the Casio.

Gary

Ask a Question