Keyboard Rig Pics

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The music stand is attached to the Mic Mount on the left which is attached to the Second Tier of the Stand.

Here's some pics.

m-stand-1.jpg

m-stand-2.jpg

onstage-ksa7575.jpg

onstage-19inch-gooseneck.jpg

onstage-dual-z-stand.jpg

You're not the first one to ask me about that setup :)

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Added a couple of new acquisitions to the studio so far this year.

Korg Minilogue and Studiologic you know about.

Got rid of the Korg X50 and the Casio XW-P1 to pay for them.

Picked up a used Korg Electribe ER-1 as well. Always looking for ways to improve my beats.

My back is starting to heal up pretty good. I'm chomping at the bit to start composing again.

Working on a piece right now I call Crackhead Highway... Driving music for the summer roads :D :D :D

studio-20170618T164755-11.JPG
studio-20170618T164951-14.JPG
studio-20170618T165007-15.JPG
studio-20170618T165027-17.JPG
studio-20170618T165043-18.JPG
studio-flowchart.jpg
studio_flowchart_MIDI_USB_routing.jpg

Let's face it, I'm a gearslut and proud of it :D :D :D

Gary ;)

P.S. It's not just ego that I put these up here. These pics are for my insurance adjuster if I ever get ripped off or burned out of house and home :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wowee Gary! All those wires, buttons, gadgets, and keyed gizmos, you know the first thing I thought of but remembered you don't like the term :).
Been in grease monkey mode lately for "fun" but when I was in music mode a little while ago I "accidentally" happened upon something weird but really cool and I wasn't sure what to say or what to ask but when you mentioned "beats" it made me think of it. In my still very small limited world of keyboards and gadgets I tried to really see if I could make a decent drum track with guitar and strings and whatever else while using anvil.
I suppose to people here it would seem a real simple composition that I came up with first. When I played it back I was floored! It sounds nothing like what I did or tried for. I don't do dance tunes but this is a dance tune from hell! I keep asking myself if I'm bias or something or aren't aware enough of modern dance tunes to know but I can picture bad kids in maybe the 14 to 30 age group going absolutely crazy with this. In fact like I've never seen. It's not me nor my idea, the software screwed up my intent somehow, the beat itself. I heard it again a couple days ago for the first time in maybe a month and no I'm not crazy. It is still all that, and really weird because I didn't do it. I did find that the cause in general was something in my current default midi player, coolsoft virtualmidisynth , that is not reading the midi right. It sounds as I made it if I use anvil and had I only known that rendering I would have went right back to the drawing board because it sucked as I expected for a first attempt. Have you or anyone ran into something like this? I mean it sounds worlds different and not even close. I also need to see what I should do with this accidental phenomenon of a "song."

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Basically half of my workflow is building a simple beat and layering up a tune and harmonies, then swapping out voices to achieve something out of this world. :)

There's nothing wrong with laying out a beat in notation form either. Usually I use the piano roll view of Cakewalk to do a beat that way.

Like anything else in music, if you can count to 16 a drum beat is simple. Just select 1/32 note for your resolution and create an interesting looking and symmetrical pattern for the first two or four measures, then augment it with hihats and snares and fx, and then copy the measures and repeat and augment even more. Eventually you loop a string of patterns and you have your beat.

Then start playing around with the voices and drumkits used until you've got something that really swings.

When I layer in the JD-Xi or the Minilogue, I've got something that screams "DISCO FROM TRALFAMADOR!!!!" :D

That's pretty much all there is to creating a decent beat :)

That's the wonderful thing about experimental music. Some of the greatest creations were stumbled upon by accident. :)

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gary has inspired me - I've also updated my rig to include a Korg SV-1, but haven't posted any pics - apart from changing my avatar. I have also rack mounted my mixers now - something I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. Plenty of space in the rack for an outboard effects unit or a new keyboard module or two - perhaps in 2018...

tumblr_os5dd3zIre1ual3guo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_os5drez54p1ual3guo1_1280.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been somewhat disappointed with the Roland JD-Xi for the past few months so I managed to work out a swap plus a bit of cash for a Novation Ultranova.

The MIDI features of the Ultranova are way less eccentric. :)

Gary ;)

novation-ultranova-1.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Juno and the Ferrofish stand alone hooked up to a Behringer keyboard amp in the living room.

The rest of the stuff though naturally all feeds thru the Yamaha mixer in my spare bedroom/recording studio.

Of course I like to keep all of this documented and up to date online for insurance purposes.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Coming in at over 32 thousand views I think this is the most viewed thread on Keyboard Forums.

Not sure about number two and three but I think number two is "What Are you Listening To?" with over 13 thousand and number three might be the "Keyboard Selfies" thread with over 1500 views.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/keyboard-rig-pics.21919/

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/post-your-keyboard-selfies-here.25707/

I'd like to encourage more people to post selfies by making that thread a sticky and I'd like to see some selfies from the administrators of the forum unless they have serious issues with putting them up.

Howabout it Ian and Becky and Michael? Any objections?

Gary ;)

Ask a Question